Edelbrock Carbs, I want some fellow owners inputs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 01:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Edelbrock Carbs, I want some fellow owners inputs

I just figured that maybe we could all put our heads together and talk about these things, just Edelbrock. Sorry Holley guys, I like your carbs also but Ido not own one, that is why I want to talk about Edelbrock. I have a very good knowledge of everything inside of the carb, maybe not the technical names or all of their jobs but I know what and where everything is. I wanted to talk to some of the other Edelbrock owners and see if we can collaberate together and build the best damn Carbs we can out of em'. I run a 600cfm electric choke w/ a heat spacer, off-road needle and seat, and different metering rod and step up springs. I run it on a modified 350 chevy. I was wondering if anyone would collaberate with me about the float bowl settings you might have used with your off-road needle and seat. Even the Edelbrock techi, really nice guy, says that the book is wrong, we all know this. I was wondering what you all set yours at, I will have to check mine but I think that they were at 9 or 11/16, I forgot? Are there any other mods that you have made to the carb, if so what was the reason for the mod. Did any of you notice any mileage gains or just performance. I never did wuite understand what the purpose of the different step up springs was. I am at 4000 ft altitude and run the orange spring. I did not have the tools at the time to check which spring will work best but I now have access to any tool you could think of. My friends dad even has one of those engine spectro thingies, looks like an engine heart monitor. At any rate I would like to get performance input and also any input for the daily driver who succesfully got better mileage out of theirs.

Hopefully there are a lot of Edelbrock owners out there, otherwise this will die real quick. HAPPY JEEPIN

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 02:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Edelbrock Carbs, I want some fellow owners inputs

I've had real good luck with the Edelbrock Quadrajet replacement carburetors. I know you are using the square bore version. I feel it's a waste of time, energy, and money to mess with anything but the Quadrajet versions for off road use!
dave

It's not what you wanted to hear, but it's my personal opinion and experience.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I remember right the Quadrajet is the dull colored one, correct. I am using the Edelbrock Performer b/c it was already stuck to my Jeep when I bought it. I am a college student and I am about to start looking for a used economy car to drive on a daily basis. I either need to get my Jeep into 2 digit gas mileage or find a daily driver. If I get enough mileage out of her then I can just spend some, read that most, of the money I saved on the Jeep and my girlfriend.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:35 AM
FlMudCJ

I've got a 600 cfm on my 304 and abosoulty love it. I haven't been trailing since I put the off-road needle and seats in, but it doesn't seem like its bogging down as much off the line... I set the float to what the book said, didn't know better. it runs... I'll tinker with it in awhile.

btw - the step up springs are the way the metering rods move. at idle, the vacuum pulls down on the piston on top of 'em, and moves the rod towards the lean position. as you step on the gas, vacuum decreases, the spring pushes the rod up, and it enrichens the mixture. The different stepup springs controls when and how fast the rods move. I'm not sure how to set them up, but I believe if you can follow the owners manual, they had alot on how to tune the carb...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 07:58 AM

One more time....heres some info from a post from a while back....This is the current setup I have on my 304. It works well. But not as good as EFI.

Im running an Edelb. 600 cfm on my 304. I've had good success with the off-road kit installed, leaned out to .098 main/073 x 052 rod and two stages lean in the secondaries (.089). I also installed a fuel regulator that I run between 2 and 5 psi. This same setup worked well for a friends Scout 345 cid. If you're still having problems try swapping step-up springs. A free flow air filter also helps.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode