wheel wobble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

wheel wobble

I was driving my 2wd toyota boat puller to the store and notice a wobble at 55 gone at 65. i know this is because i got some mud on the inside rim, no big deal. But I got to thinking, sometime ago somebody( local beer drinking buddy) mention something about, on vehicle wheel balance. Balance the rim, wheel, rotor, everything that turns. Do people do this, and what type place would. I know the local big 10 tires would think I was crazy. Now I have no problem with my truck, I just was thinking.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 06:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: wheel wobble

This type of wheel balancing has gone out of vogue in the last 20 years. I personally thought that it made sense ...but the market/industry disagreed. The unit that the last alignment shop that I used that did this involved a drive unit that sat under the front wheel (jacked up) ......you engaged a lever that raised a roller that contacted the tire and it would rotate the tire/wheel assembly to a high rate of speed. A strobe light somehow indicated to the mechanic where to attach the weight. After the weight was attached the operator scanned the tire with the strobe and seemed happy (he was actually a miserable guy to deal with) to find nothing ......which apparently meant that there was NO out of balance condition.
One reason that may explain the extinction of this type of balancing (there may be other, more plausible explanations) is the mass migration to front drive....another is that you can't rotate tires using this technique. This guy would not do dynamic balancing on a front drive vehicle (apparently it was too hard on the drive unit) and he refused to use the vehicle's power to drive the wheels for safety reasons. I still think that it was a good technique.

(gee......I wonder.......cancelling driveshaft vibration using selective wheel weights.....let's see............ create counteractive driveline harmonics......................maybe Dave could.............nah[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode