What to wash gas tank out with??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 03:07 PM
Robert87yj

What to wash gas tank out with???

Well, I finally had enough time to get my gas tank out of my 87yj. I can't give enough thanks to all who offered all of the advice when I thought I would have time to take it out a month ago. The plastic tank made me feel a little safer taking it out. Besides twisting the heads off two of the bolts that held the tralier hitch off, everything went smoothly, well, except getting the filler hoses off, that was a PITA. When I looked inside, there was a little sediment in the gas tank. What is a good solvent to use when cleaning the gas tank. Would water and a little dish soap do the trick? With a plastic tank, does this mean that I can do that 20gal gas tank conversion?

Thanks ahead of time for ideas and thoughts...

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What to wash gas tank out with???

I just pressure cleaned mine last weekend. It is difficult getting all the water out. I am not in any rush to put it back together so no problem for me. Do you think that they used a sealant on the cap and vents?

I have 83 CJ7 258I with Howell fuel injection. It is tore down foe overhaul right now but I will have a 4.0 head also. What Exaust or Header did you end up with? I was told to look into 91-92. My 4.0 head is off of a 1995 Cherokee.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bleach works great! - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 08:08 PM

4.0 Cherokees have a factory tube-style header. Even the '89 cherokee I found in the junkyard here has it. I think this would be the MUCH cheaper and more trouble-free way to go, and you probably wont have to be re-torquing the thing every other month to make it stay on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode