some basic jeep questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

some basic jeep questions

hi, first post on the jeep board, so here goes. in the near future, i will be more than likely purchasing a jeep. i got a few questions though. the cj model is the one i will be looking at, either a 5 or a 7. what are the advantages of each and disadvantages? also, i will likely be lifting the jeep to clear 35's, so how much lift will i need to comfortably fit these tires. the jeep will probably be driven 60% road and 40% off-road, but i also have to deal with canadian winters. i've been looking around, and from what i have seen some of the jeep hardware changed in 1980. which is the better transfer case between the two (dana 20 and 300)? how much can the transmissions from 1980 on take? manual or standard, doesn't matter. what about pre-80? the t18a seems to be the best all around transmission. how about the quadratrac transfer case? i've heard the chains arn't that great in it? i don;t want a 3-speed stick, so how hard is it to swap a transmission, say a th350, or 400? also, if i swap a chevy small block in, is there any jeep that it bolts up to? well thats about it, thanks for any responses!

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 12:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: some basic jeep questions

ok keith.. man you dont want much.. kidding.. to clear 35's you will need a minum of 4" of lift, and yes they changed in 80, between the 300 and the 20, basically the same, but the 300 has a lower gear in it, not by much. d20 low is 2.03 d300 low is 2.62. t-18 is about the strongest tranny amc made, but a d300 wont bolt up to one, unless you get an adapter ($500). the t-5 i have had and a riend has had one behind a built 304 for a year now with no problems. but they are considered weak. the quadratrac is a good unit, heavy duty. the chain problem is that they stretch and will slip. ($100) for a new chain. they are really good if you get one with the low gear reduction unit on it. it was like a $1000 dollar option back in the day. if you want a v-8 my best advice would be to get a late 70's jeep with a 304. the quadratrac jeeps had an offset rear axle, and if you change the transfer case you will have to change the axle also. one last thing.. the t-18's that came in cj did not have the granny low like the trucks and wagoneers did. cj t-18 1st=4.02 while the others where 6.32.
and no chevy motor bolts to anything amc unless you get an adapter. even the turbo 400 is different in the amc jeeps.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 01:45 PM
Addict

As far as comparing the CJ5 and the CJ7......

The 5 has the shorter wheelbase so it rides a lot worse. Also the length of an automatic trans is hard to fit into it. Hartops are scarce for them. There is not much room inside them. They are supposed to be a little more nimble off road.

I guess I must like the 7.....

If you decide to swap for a Chevy or Ford V8, be prepared to spend your money. Adapters are needed and they're expensive.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 02:52 PM

CJ5s compared to CJ7s..

for mostly on road Id have to say get a 7, ive got a 5, its small..

the transfercases are a draw, between 1980 and before.
the transmissions used after 1980 arent near as strong as the ones used up until 1979.

the best transmission ( In my opinion)being a 77-79 T18a 4 speed, factory option, only behind 6 cylinders in CJ series, its a 6.32:1 1st gear granny low transmission made by Borg and Warner and is damn near impossible to tear up..the low 1st gear is awesome off road too, just idle up and over stuff

for 35 inch tires and much offroad usage your probably going to need upgraded axles anyhow.
as far as the Quadra track, its handy if you drive in alot of snow because of the fulltime 4x4, the fluid is really expensive it has an aluminum case, and a chain, some folks would call these features weaknesses, and as mentioned early it has a funky offset rear axle.
it was either only available behind a GM built TH400 automatic tranny, or a very RARE option behind a stick ( ive never seen one with a stick)

another thing to keep in mind on engine swaps, a CJ5 is just barely long enough, with an automatic tranny the rear driveshaft gets really short.

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 03:27 PM
chasejeep7

I have had both the CJ 5 and 7. Even though I like the looks of the 5, the 7 better-more room-more options (hardtop a big plus). Just wanted to add that the CJ axles in '82 and up were wider by 2", so that might be a feature of interest. All in all I would look for something later than the '76s because they have the latest CJ styling that continued to 86 and better heater design. I guess the later the model the better. But note that the mid-82 and later models have much more vacuum hoses (emissions).
Peace,
Chase

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks to all that replied. i checked at the advance adapters website, and the price for the adapter plate for a 350 to a t18 is $273, which seems pretty reasonalbe to me, considereing i already have a 350. you say that only the 6 cylinders came with the t18, what did the 304 come with? also, who makes the best 4 inch springs? and what about the shackle reversel i keep reading about? i read at more's site that it does not add any lift, is this true? once again, thanks in advance

Keith
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 06:26 PM

very few 6 cylinders came with a T18, thats teh kicker hard to find one! it was an option

late 70s 304s came with a 3 speed T150 tranny, pretty strong, dime a dozen, and suckatola 1st gear ratio!

if yougonna go GM engine go ahead and get a chevy granny truck tranny, they are just as good as a T18, and easy to find, and NO ADAPTER to go behind the engine!

like a SM420, or SM465
420 is older, hard to find parts for, but really cheap and common, as is the sm465 both are strong as hell

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 06:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

go with what ozarkjeep said.. but if you really want a t-18 behind it.. i think i might have an adapter here.. would have to look.. and see what it is. i know its for a chevy motor to an amc tranny... not sure what tranny is bolted up to it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yikes! i looked at the transmission adapter prices and their over $500! if i go to a GM tranny, i will go with a turbo 350, because we have a bunch of them. how much is a used t18? will any t18 work? if a t18 cost's less than $500, then will definealty the way i go, if i can't find a jeep with one already in it. and about gm standards, how does everything hook up? like does the clutch pedel and everything work? and finally, if i change a stick to and auto, where do i put the shifter? on the floor? thanks again

Keith
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 07:49 PM

used T18s from $150 to $1100, the short one youll want for a CJ is toward the upper end of that range , but most T18s can be converted to be short for approx $200, see the KEY is a 6.5 inch input shaft on a T18, that makes it usuable in a CJ

if your dead set on a GM engine, your just about gonna have to have an adapter somewhere in the driveline..

My opinion would be to build an AMC engine, a 360 is pretty common ,grand wagoneers had them until 91/92 and they are cheap enough, will bolt in to any CJ 70s and up, and then you have V8 power, and you can buy/build a T18 from parts instead of dumping $500 on an aluminum adapter, youll spend $500 on a bulletproof tranny and still use factory JEEP transfercase if you go GM engine/tranny your most likely going to end up needing another $500 to get hte transfer case to hook up, and all those adapters arent only pricey they ad length.

I think, that in most cases if you require an adapter in your driveline your probably using the wrong stuff to begin with..

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode