Hard shifting transfercase - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Hard shifting transfercase

I have a model 20 transfer case here is the thing, it shifts fine when I want to go into 4x4 but when I'm done and want to go back to 2 high it wont shift till about five min of strungling with it it does it in all 4 wheel drive modes. sometimes I will leave it overnight and it shifts nice and smooth. it got me puzzled, it it the nature of this beast or is it the case. need ideas here guys thanks in advance Mike

Michael T. Carr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 09:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hard shifting transfercase

It sounds like something is causing your case to be in a bind. Is it hard to shift in loose soil or mud? CJDave is a real stickler on tire size, if your tires are not similar your driveshafts will bind making the case hard or impossible to shift. I am sure others will comment.

Tom

1985 CJ7
4WheelDriveWeb</p>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sometimes, backing up a short distance while pulling the lever into 2wd will help unwind the drivline and allow easier shifting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 01:29 PM
Addict

This is common on all 4WD vehicles. The gears are binding due to one wheel or one axle turning just a little more tht the rest, like when cornering....the outside wheel goes farther than the inside one. The easiest way I've found to get it loose is to back up slowly while putting steady pressure on the transfer case shifter. Turning the front wheels from side to side seems to help sometimes.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unlock the hubs, drive 1-2 feet, and everything will go back together without a fight.

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 09:14 PM
sas87yj

yea my trans case shifter sometimes doesn't work real smooth either. i changed the fluid and i have shifted others to be convinced there is nothing wrong with it but is the way it is. you aquire a touch for it and going in reverse just a couple feet usually works for me. treat it tender like it were a woman!
steve

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 11:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My guess is that you have tire mismatch. Make a little fixture that is a nice piece of trim board about 30" long with an adjustable "pecker" on it that sticks out and will just rest on the top edge of the metal Jeep wheel when you stand the board up against each wheel. Match the tires by adding or subtracting air. Do this when the Jeep has just been driven and on real good, flat concrete. Usually, turning figure eights will allow you to pull it out of FWD, or backing up. If you back up two feet and it comes out, that's a sign that the tires are BADLY mismatched. If it takes a lot farther, that's good, the tires are a closer match.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys that was much help [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] CJDAVE I think you might be right the jeep has the same brand tires in front and a different brand in the rear same size numbers but who really knows[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Looks like I'm gonna be in the market for new tires I want to keep it stock size so I can put it in the garage any ideas I would say 70% highway 30%offroad mostly trails and some mud, cost is a little bit of a factor. Thanks all to who replied[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Michael T. Carr
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 09:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Mike.....go back a few days and look for a thread that was addressed to TEX. TEX showed an answer which had a photo of a Cooper Discoverer mud tire which looked very good for dual-purpose work....hiway and mudway. Last year I put a set of Cooper Discoverer snowtreads on the ZJ, and I have to tell you, they hang on like a cat's paw where there IS no traction. The mud tread is slightly different, being more open but the overall tire is similar....like it is rubber with a hole in the center for the metal wheels to go in[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]>>>I just cannot stress enough the importance of matching those tires. One cautionary note however....DO NOT take the trim board off the living room door frame....especially if it is a rental house.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode