Shackle Reversal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 06:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shackle Reversal

Hi Guys
Iam looking for any ideas on a home brew shackle
reversal for my CJ-7. Any & All are welcome.
Thanks
Mike
*79 CJ-7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 07:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Shackle Reversal

it's an incredible amount of work.. but here is how i did mine..
buy a few feet of 4" square tube with quarter inch walls. cut (2) 6" chunks off, cut the bottom out an an angleso you end up with a bracket that has 4 sides on the top and 3 on the bottom. the angle is not that important, just so your springs will not hit anything. get a piece of 4"x1/4" plate steel and weld it across the bottom of the frame rails..you'll weld the brackets you made to that. do not drill the bolt holes into the brackets until later!
now is a good time to sneak the front axle forward an inch if you desire.. remember that with a shackle reversal, the axle will flex toward the tub, so that extra inch is a good idea. i welded all that together on the front and tied it together with a HUGE piece of angle iron that doubles as my front bumper. for the shackles themselves, i made them out of 2"x1/4" bar steel.. it's cheap to buy.. i got all my steel from a local fabrication shop..it is all cheap except for the box steel...i didn't want to drill a hole in the frame like most people do to mount the shackle, so I welded a rear spring hanger from a cj-7 to the top of my frame and ran 10" shackles down the sides of the frame. this gave me a pretty good angle on the axle, but i used a tj frame.. your shackle may be a different length( i also did a spring over)i'll try to get some pics...you MUST get the front bolt holes PERFECT or you will not track correctly.. the MORE kit is probably cheaper in the long run, but i like mine a lot

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 07:46 PM

You can see how I did mine at my web site, just click on PYRO below.

Wayne in Hawaii
PYRO II, 77CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 11:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

what Elusive is telling you i should have up on my web site sometime this coming week. hopefully tuesday.. we both took pictures of it.. and i will say.. it is SWEET!!! i pitty the import that stops in front of him or i..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 11:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

what Elusive is telling you i should have up on my web site sometime this coming week. hopefully tuesday.. we both took pictures of it.. and i will say.. it is SWEET!!! i pitty the import that stops in front of him or i..
and cheap.. lets see.. we paid.. 57 bucks for the steel.. and have plenty left over for another jeep.. and we did this to his.. and mine..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode