Oil pan will not come lose. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 03:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil pan will not come lose.

I can not get my oil pan on my 894.2 yj to come off. I have taken out all the bolts around the bottom of the pan. are there any other bolts that I may be missing.. I've tryed to beat it off, pry it off and swearing at it to get it to come off ( alot a swearing ), but it wont come off. Only about 1/4 of 5the front right side is lose. Any Ideas.... Thanks...

89 YJ 4.2 Procomp 4.5 Lift, MSD6a, and just gerttin started......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 05:50 AM
Addict

Re: Oil pan will not come lose.

Make sure you have all of the little bolts across the front out. 2 larger ones on the very corners. They may be caked with crud and you can't see them. Is the rear loose? Same thing on that end.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The OE gasket can be one heck of a pain to remove the pan on older 4.2s, 5.9s and 4.0s. Sometimes it helps to hammer in a thin blade, such as on old steak knife, every 3-4 inches or so along the pan rail to help loosen it up. Carefully lay the blade parallel to the pan rail and tap it into the gasket to cut it. Then give the pan a few whacks with a rubber mallot to loosen it. Be sure to straighten the pan rail before reusing it, or replace it with a new one.
If you don't have a new gasket yet, I'd recommend the new style silicone/ steel reinforced reusable factory gasket that is used on the newer 4.0s. Also, check for rust between the skid plate and the bottom of the old oil pan, one hit on a rock and you could cause a leak here. Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 08:17 PM

they are very hard to get off ....mine was a real bear even out of the jeep on an engine stand...steak kinfe may work ....I used a 1 1/2" spackeling knife /scraper and some spray on gasket solvent ...pry open what you can and spray some more in there....It bubbeled up when sprayed on..... and a good hammer ....maybe it was just the cussin...
guess thats why they leak from every place else but the pan gasket LOL
no matter how much I called him Jesus never came to lend a hand...guess He don't like workin on jeeps.
good luck to ya

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gee, I dont know....if you were swearing at it and that didn't work...well..then I'm all out of ideas!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all. A really big screwdriver and hamer did the trick... Never thought a little 2 hour job would take 2 days.... That's jeep life for you.... Thanks

Dirtybird

89 YJ 4.2 Procomp 4.5 Lift, MSD6a, and just gerttin started......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode