Building a good d30 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Building a good d30

I am planning the upgrades for my '83 Cj-7 and have a question about the Dana 30 front. Right now I have 2.73 gears and 31" tires, not a good combination. I am working on a cheapish way of getting up to 33's and 3.73's or 35's and 4.38's. What I want to know is, since the pinion gear will be getting smaller, should I keep the stock lockout hubs so I don't break something expensive. I think that these would be the weak links and break before the U-Joints or the axles of gears. I don't plan on running any kind of locking thing, just a limited slip, but I know that the 30's don't handle bigger tires very well. I could just get a whole mess of stock hubs for replacements and not worry about anything epensive.
Will this work? In a lot of the other threads about drivelins people are always talking about adding in a weak link to save the expensive stuff. Well, I was just sitting here and Bam!, the idea came to me.
Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 09:50 PM

Re: Building a good d30

Check your offroad email.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 10:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i hate to say it, but the dana 30 is totally useless.. i once tried to build a good one.. good gears, new u-joints, locker.... i started blowing hubs ALL the time, so i bought warns hub conversion kit, and shattered the ring and pinion... i built a dana 44 now.. that 7 inch ring gear just doesn't impress me

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 10:05 PM

I've got a feeling my d30 will blow chunks is I lock it up. I want to do it for the time being, until I get the axle swap done, but elusive seems to definitely be against it. So far, mine has held good with the V8 and 33's and 4.11's, but a locker changes everything.

big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 11:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you gotta ask yourself.. are you going to drive this.. or are you going to DRIVE this!?!?!?! if you plan on taking this off road.. and have a v-8.. cheaper to get a 44... d30 are crap.. but if you dont have a v-8, only run a posi.. and dont do any serious rock crawling.. (mud is way more forgiving) then build it.. but if you want to play with the big boys.. go with a 44.. cheaper in the long run.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not planning on ever doing any rock crawling, just mud and trails. I have a 258 so there won't be too much stress on it. Thanks for the help, I know squat about axles.
Ed

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to defend the D30 a little bit.
I am running a V8/D30 front with locker and have only blown one axle u-joint. I have been through Rubicon and others and have never had a serious failure (knock on wood). I agree with the post above that says "are you going to drive your jeep or are you going to DRIVE your jeep". You must decide, it is definately up to the driver. I enjoy the trips more if I, personaly, am driving in a somewhat restrained manner and am not out to conquer "every" tough spot.
My D30 has proven it's self on more than a few ocassions and is still running strong. I could spend the money on a D44 or 9" but so far my D30 is sufficient.
Mizu

"Some where the beer flows like wine.....a little place called.....Aspin"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 08:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I also canned the D30 for the D44, but there was nothing wrong with the D30 when I removed it, just piece of mind, and it didn't match the rear D44 gears (4.11 vs 3.73).

I know of people that are running a D30 in the front, check them out: http://www.midcoast.com/~jeeps/club/...hnkimball.html, http://www.midcoast.com/~jeeps/club/jackd/index.html, http://www.midcoast.com/~jeeps/club/mikec/index.html, and http://www.midcoast.com/~jeeps/club/mikeb/index.html. None of them have had any problems running a locker, and all BEAT on their jeeps to no end. I thought about it, but decided I'd swap now rather than later. Keep the hubs tight (use studs), and upgrade to the Premiums. Run good U-joints and have a nice day [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-29910-SundayRiver.jpg (41.1 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also must stand-up for the little guy, "the Dana30 in this case" The 30 can be a good axel if you take it easy on it, I dont mean avoid the hard stuff, I just mean lite on the skinny pedal on the right. I know alot of guys who cant afford the big 44 or 60 up front, so what do they do? They beef up the 30 and stay out of the gas. I have seen these trucks go all over and only a few breaks, if you have the money by all means spend it, if you dont the 30 can still get you where you want to go, treat it like a woman, gentle....if it breaks on you, yell at it......apolagize.......fix it.......try again......

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode