WhaT 4X4? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WhaT 4X4?

I am planing to buy a 4x4 for under 1500$. It should be good on gas and have leaf spring suspension front and rear. What should this vehicle be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 03:15 PM
TEX

Re: WhaT 4X4?

<font color=purple>As much as it pains me to say, that sounds like a Samurai. Otherwise a rusted-out Toyota pickup would work. 4-cylinder CJ's are kinda rare, but that would be another option. Keep in mind that anything you buy at that price is likely to need repairs - if not now, then soon. So, don't blow the entire budget on the purchase. Just my $.02.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just bought a 76' CJ5 with a "relitivly" good body, an I6 that does not leak oil with 68,000 org. miles, and pa state inspected for 950.00. I thought I was getting a good deal.

So far I have replaced both front sets of wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints, both u-joints in the rear drive shaft, inner front axle oil seals, front breaks, front wheel cylinders, front shocks, and I am about to do the rear breaks and rear axle seals. These items can not be found on a normal pre-buy inspection. I have only owned it a month.

I looked the jeep over when I bought it, crawled under it, drove it, and looked at the new inspection sticker. Hell the guy even gave me 50.00 back because one of the off road lights needed a bulb.

No matter what you buy take TEX's advice and don't spend the budget on the vehical. On the pre-buy inspection I would look for how the maintenance was done. My I6 gets 14mpg and I drive 50 miles a day. It's getting better mpg than my chevy astro van that burns oil like it is trying to kill the ozone layer all by itself.

am I happy with the jeep YOU BETTER BELEAVE IT!!!!

Lunatic
http://Home Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 04:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you're going cheap, a "plain vanilla" vehicle is the way to go. I would say a carbureted 258 CJ is the ticket. Get it for as cheap as you can, so that you can spend the rest on the needed repairs. Plan on doing all work yourself, or you'll blow your budget quick. I often see many in the $500-$1000 bracket in our local want ads. A CJ will have reasonably priced spare parts, and junkyard availability will be good. A Samurai would be a good choice, but new parts may be more pricey than the CJ, and you may not find as many in junkyards, and surely not as much aftermarket support for spares, with it.

A 1/2 ton chevy or ford pickup is a good choice too, if you don't want a jeep, as you will find a lot of those in junkyards also, but some of those 1/2 tons may be coil springs in front, I think some of the fords were? Not sure. My 79 F250 is all leaf springs..

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got really lucky and came across a CJ-7 that I ended up buying for $1200 with a 304, good 3-speed, new 35's, rust and
starts everytime I get in it. It's not very pretty or clean, but I could care less. I love driving that thing! It has no gauges, and
no paint (primer since I bought a year ago). I've been doing the work myself, slowly, but it's great fun. I have bought most of my used parts from guys on this BBS for great prices. I also get a lot of help from just reading other peoples posted questions (I don't post all that
much), and from a Chiltons manual.

My girlfriend does refuse to ride in it, but she has a car, so we just take hers.

Good Luck!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here in So Fla you can't touch a rust out toy
for less than $2500. I wanted a cj8 but they
start at about 5k
later

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode