Co owning a jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Co owning a jeep?

Alright this is my 4th post on this CJ7 I found, can you tell I'm pumped? Well my friend found this cj that's sat for years and the place is throwing it away and most likely it will be our's. My parents and the village wouldn't let me "store it" in the drive way if my life depended on it but my friend lives in the town over and the town and his parents don't care if there are dead vehicles sitting on the grass so it will be "stored" at his house. I think my dad said If I got a trail rig he would pay the insurance on it if I paid for plates and everything else. So I think what would happen would be that I would get the title and my dad would cover the insurance but it would stay at my friend's house. Then when I wansn't using it he could use it to wheel or drive around. No clue how we would cover repairs and the like, his idea was the one with the most money though that could end up being a problem in my mind. Any suggestions as to working out a deal so that this doesn't become a problem.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 12:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Co owning a jeep?

Co-ownership never works out. It should be one person's jeep. It's fine to let someone borrow it once and while, but they should pay for the repairs if something happens to it while they're driving it. If they don't like it, don't drive it. You can't have a split on the costs as one person may beat on it and the other person drive it fine.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 12:48 PM
Old Hand

I'd say you give him a small fee for storage until you get it "pretty" enough for you town and parents to let you keep it at your house. If anything you'll end up fighting over the jeep or repairs and losing a friend.

'00 TJ,2" susp.,2" body, K&N performance inject, Gibson Cat Back, D30, D35 w/Super 35 30 spline axle kit w/detroit locker,Jet chip, 35" Super Swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:17 PM
jeepfiend

Jeep are like women, you can never share them. Someone always gets their feelings hurt. Usually the Jeep, and you wouldn't want to do that. Those emotional scars can lead to sagging springs, dim headlights, and a lack of performance on the trail. I would find some other way to compensate you friend. A good way to do that would be to give the Jeep to me, and you wouldn't have to worry about damaging your friendship. Let me know when you want me to pick it up.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

That's what I was figuring, I also have an aunt w/ an empty side of her garage, might be able to put it there for doing yard work for her. Not sure how this would work and the firend is a crazy but good driver and would probably kill it wheeling every time he took it pushing it real hard, too hard. I figure we could get some money for mods if we sold the hard top/ doors, and snow plow on it though.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I feel like every post I'm writing this afternoon starts out with "Jeepn is right..." Anyway, BAD, BAD, BAD plan. This is the short path to losing this person as a friend...

Chuck Hadley
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 12:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Andy,

I agree with what someone said above...

see if you can own it all and pay a storage fee to the guy. Otherwise you'll end up getting pissed at each other way too often over the use of the jeep.

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 01:14 PM

The only person a guy should be 'partners' with is a woman, and preferably his wife.
Avoid other types of partnerships ... business, property ownership/time share, tools, etc ... like the plague, which many of these turn out worse than... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 10:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd have to agree with the above posts. You can share a fine Burbon without any hurt feelings, but as loved a Jeeps are to us, nothing could replace a friendship. And that IS what it would come down to. Good luck!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Co ownership is bad news. I have Co-owned a flatbed trailer for 2 years, and have yet to use it. The good thing is I have the title in my possesion, so if the other owner decide to sell it, I will get my money back, or the trailer dosn't sell.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode