Gun cleaning with battery charger? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gun cleaning with battery charger?

Only slightly off subject since it does include a battery charger which any Jeep owner in the mountains of Colorado in the winter could definitly use, and guns which all Jeep owners should also have. Here's the question: I've seen 'Outers' gun cleaning kits that use a reverse electroplating process to remove lead and copper fouling from gun barrels. It basically consists of a rubber stoppers to plug the barrel, a metal rod to put down the barrel, specific liquid medium to pour down the barrel, and a small charging device to plug into the wall, and clips to hook up the barrel and the rod, thus providing a current to remove the fouling from the barrel and deposit it onto the rod. Does anyone own one of these kits, and if so, does the documentation tell you anything about the volts or amps being applied? I figure I could use my battery charger with specific resistors and apply the same charge, saving the $100 or so dollars for an Outers kit. Could it work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Gun cleaning with battery charger?

I think you've passed the thrifty mark a while ago. You probably could make it and get it working, but the expense of making it go(not to mention the possibility of dammage to your firearms)by far outweighs the savings(IMO).but if you want to try it more power to you. if you happen to get a glimpse of one the power supply should have the voltage and amperage listed on it.

'90 YJ 4" pro-comp susp. TFI upgrade. 258 "not all of them were bought up by yuppies."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, I'm not going to damage my gun barrel by running a current through it, and $100 saved is $100 I can spend on the jeep. Maybe your YJ was actually bought by a yuppie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:34 PM

I don't know if the battery charger will work, but I have the Outers gun cleaner, and it works great!

The liquid is a plating solution, and they use an insulated rod in the center of the barrel.
Clamp one side to the barrel and one to the rod, and you come up with an anode/ cathode arrangement.

The first thing I used it on was a 22-250, and it coated the rod up so much I had a hard time getting it out of the barrel.
It beats using mercury to raise the gunk, and it's not nearly as toxic.
(You will still have to hone or use mercury to raise the plastic coating out of shot gun barrels. Honing ruins the choke though.)

I use it on all of my rifles, Including my .300 Weatherby Mag., and it does 1,000 yards on a regular basis.
I have never seen anything restore a barrel like this thing will.
I have bought 'shot out' barrels, and raised the fouling with the Outers plating system, and the rifling is just fine, it was just full of crap that even the stiffest wire brush and mercury wouldn't bring out.
They shoot like brand new barrels when that thing is done with them.

Truly a 'better mouse trap'.

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:43 PM

Anybody got a link or number for that?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard nothing but raving reports on how well the Outers works, that's why I'm trying to rig one up if possible.

I have an old model 788 in 7mm-08 that just doesn't shoot like it used to and want to 'power clean' the barrel to try to regain the accuracy. I also recently purchased a Rem 700 SF in 7mm STW and want to keep it up to par.

Any specs on the current?

Here's a link to the Outers page: http://www.outers-guncare.com/
click on "gun care" and then on "Foul-out Bore Cleaners"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:26 PM

I have a Rem 700 in 7mm.08. Use it for silhouette shooting.
Only good about as far as 308 though, so anything past 700 yards is real good question...
Hits hard, and is a tack driver out to 500 yards...
Can killer at 600 yards, and runs out of steam at anything past 700 yards.
Bullet dropping too fast past 600 or 700 yards.
Good hunting platform out to about 600 yards though. Compact and hard hitting and accurate as a laser.

I started with a Weaver T-10 on top of mine, but have cense gone to Ziess, like all my long range rifles.
I get to keep up with the silhouette boys in South Dakota now that I got rid of the Weaver optics.
Those guys are serious as a heart attack when it comes to reaching out and touching something!!....
--------------------------------

Just for the record, if you buy the chemicals, and the rod, and the chamber plugs separately,
You are only $34 away from the full Kit price with the electrical unit and all in it...
I have had mine for ten years, and I love it.
I have bought replacement supplies for it about once every year, and the plating solution CAN be reused, but the rods need to be buffed off, because the crap collects on them.
I have several rods cut up for short barrels and for pistols...

And I don't think hoosierjeeper is a yuppie.
He is correct.
Unless you want you rifle to be magnetized, or have electrical corrosion starting due to not using the Outers unit, then be my guest and experiment.
It warns in the instructions not to try other current sources...
It can cause problems if you don't use the Outers unit...

I tried using an old current supply we used to do plating with way back when you could still buy the chemicals to plate at home...
The damned revolver I cleaned took two day to demagnetize...

Also, don't beat up on people trying to help.

I don't know if hoosierjeeper is into guns or not, but Indiana is the only state of it's small population to have THREE one thousand yard ranges...
We are a little serious about reaching out with rifles here.
The entire state of Florida only has one, and the state of New York doesn't have any.
The entire state of California only has two.

See ya,
Aaron.

Here is the info hot linked.

Here's a link to the Outers page: http://www.outers-guncare.com/
click on "gun care" and then on "Foul-out Bore Cleaners"

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:59 PM

300 weatherby mag Mr Rush, nice choice, maybe some day. I can't knock the expensive guns too much since I'm shooting a Benelli Super Black Eagle (very awesome gun), but I have to ask you, where the hell do you hunt that allows you to take a 600 yard shot!! I hunt deer with a slug here in AL (req'rd to since I hunt on a military arsenal) so I have never contemplated shooting anything over 100 yrds away. I saw a few nice 300 and 400 yrd shots in Kansas, but 600 yards! I mostly bow hunt now and it's always nice to see another jeeper/hunter. Will be deer hunting in Maine this winter, can't wait!

I saw the old YJ Yuppie slam earlier, there's a name caller in every crowd! Expected a Marine in the profile, but Air Force is also understandable. GO ARMY!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T.R. Would know this waaaay better than me but I have read that you can even
pull the steel out of your barrel with that thing and ruin your bore. It is not
a put it on and leave it kind of thing. It will also pull the rust out of your barrel if there is any under the fowling. I think it would be a great machine
I just have not bought one yet.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Relax Bullet Sponge, I was just defending myself for the "thrifty" remark. No blood, no foul, all in good fun. I apreciate the helpful comments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode