Is Off-Topic Posting bad? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Is Off-Topic Posting bad?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Off-topic posting CAN use up a lot of space on this BBS, and most of it doesn't have anything to do with Jeeps.........or does it? EVERY topic that exposes the left-wing eco-nazi Klintunoid-type whacko anti-everything liberal democrap freedom grabbers for the threat that they actually are is GOOD. BECAUSE.....the more you DO that, the more you can get people to quit listening to their teacher's union or their trade union, or their stupid friends who tell them to vote for a #*@!!/ democrap. After all, it WON'T MATTER which transmission you put in your Jeep IF JEEPS ARE OUTLAWED! And the democraps want to make the whole population dependent and helpless so that THEY can make your decisions FOR you. They want the communist utopia that the Hillary Klintunoids have always dreamed about implementing in this country. If you haven't seen evidence of that in the last seven years, well, shame on you for being so naive. To paraphrase a famous person: "When they outlawed Jet Skis, I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jet skier; when they outlawed ATVs I didn't speak up because, well, I didn't have one of them either; when they outlawed guns, I didn't speak up because I didn't shoot; when they outlawed dune buggys I didn't speak up because I don't like sand; when they outlawed trail bikes I didn't speak up because I didn't have any motorcycles. Finally, when they outlawed Jeeps, there was no one LEFT to help ME speak up. Better to make a fuss NOW, than to wait till the Eco-nazis and their liberal democrap masters OWN this country![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 10:43 AM
TEX

Re: Is Off-Topic Posting bad?

<font color=purple>Hey, I modified that famous saying myself once, only I think it was something like:

"When they outlawed 44's, I said nothing because I had 35's.
When they outlawed 40's, I said.......... " and so on.

Off-topic is always going to crop up when "friends" get together. I've yet to go to a 4x4 club meeting where hunting season, Mother's day, a new house under construction, or some other topic didn't find its way into our conversations - either during or after the meeting.

But, everyone has a different "tolerance level" for off-topic threads. When 6 or 7 of 'em pop up on the same day, then folks will start to complain & grumble. And while you're very, very correct to say:</font color=purple>"EVERY topic that exposes the left-wing eco-nazi Klintunoid-type
whacko anti-everything liberal democrap freedom grabbers for the threat that they actually are is
GOOD."
<font color=purple>, some folks do come here to forget about all that other stuff & concentrate on fun things like Jeeps. I think we all need to be mindful & respectful of those folks, and when the off-topic stuff escalates to the point of generating complaints, we could back off for a bit to "ease the tension" - so to speak. Now, I'm as guilty as ANYONE for off-topic threads, so I sort of "see myself" when I hear the complaints. And I usually try to back off - for a few days anyway.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] 'Course, today's Friday, so LOOKOUT![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhow, it's up to us to try to dance on that fine line between "too many" & "just enough" off-topic threads so the admin doesn't have to do anything. Reminds me a bit of life in general & a song in particular by Rush called "The Trees". Can't remember the lyrics word for word, but the general gist is that:

The maples are mad at the oaks for hogging all the sunlight, but the oaks just don't understand why the maples can't be happy in their shade. So, the maples decide to "make" the oaks give them light. And a noble law was passed so that all trees would be kept equal by hatchet, ax, and saw. Granted, we have only the admin here, not the government. But, the statement is one I think you in particular will appreciate. If we can't make it work on our own, Big Brother will come in & we'll all have to deal with some level of oppression in the name of "fairness". Which of course is a politically correct way to say if we don't fix it ourselves, the government will come in & really hose things up. Gettin' a little off off-topic, so I think I'd better let it go at that[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img].

Later,</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:44 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I guess the older I get I am tiring more quickly with people... I have been away from this board and travelling for my job a bit, and you always see them... on the plane in the 3-piece suit, yapping on the cell phone until the plane leaves, and back on it as soon as it touches down, yelling about 'market share', and similar crap. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Life is short, people, and if you live your life that way, you will wonder where it has all gone when you're done. So please don't just sit there and say that "the board should be all Jeep, without anyone's comments, etc." We're all people, dudes, not robots. I can't see how these people can live their lives that way. CJDave's comments, and others, are one of the main reasons I visit this site. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Off-topic posts are good. They're fun, innocent, and often humorous. If you think your opinion is the right one, try to say why. If you get challenged, maybe you will find you are wrong, or change your mind about things, or the other person will. Either way, we all stand to learn something. So, lighten up a little, live your life - you only get one, you know - and relax.

Pete. ...and you'll see me on the plane. I'm the one in the sweatpants and the t-shirt. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

..stepping off my soap box. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think off topic posts encourage dialogues that promote our hobby and raise our level of education. Since the last blow up, I've tried to stay away from off topic stuff, but why? If I find the topic interesting, I'm going to post my opinion. I think that's ok. I understand that some people don't want to come here and read off topic stuff and that's fine, I understand and I'll try to keep it at a minimum. However, my opinion is as important as yours and I LIKE THE OFF TOPIC POSTS. What I don't understand is why 2 or 3 people have to post to an off topic thread saying "Don't post off topic threads here, we don't want to see them." It's 2 posts out of 27 that say that.

Please, people, we understand that you want ONLY Jeep threads, but that's never going to happen here, so please, please, don't stir the pot by posting your complaints about an off topic post in the off topic threads. It really infuriates me to no end! The post is there, it's off topic and you're posting your complaint about it will not make it go away.

I just knew as soon as I saw the "PETA" subject line that this crap was going to happen. So predictable. So is the next post I'll see.. very predictable. "Can I fit 33's under my Jeep?" "TeamRush Ignition Upgrade Doesn't Work". Geez, the same guys complaining about off topic threads are the ones too ignorant to due a search on their questions that have been answered 5000 times already and then get pissed because everyone else is tired of posting the same responses. They are the same guys who have the same routine everyday and can't figure out why their life is so dull or why they didn't get that promotion. Single track, closed mind and never objective, only subjective.

Now I'm sick of posting replies about off topic posting. So why don't we all just go about our business and respect everyone's opinion and get along. Why must there be dissention about something so insignificant as an off topic thread?

Man, I like the Jeep stuff, but information about a Wrangler won't help me with my CJ so I don't read those posts. I don't read the ones about axle conversions cause I don't ever see myself needing a bigger axle. Accordingly, if you are interested in the off topic stuff, SKIP IT. MOVE ON. Go out and take your wife to an unexpected dinner and get some variety. Open your mind and see what is outside your sheltered world!

Thanks for letting me vent, work has been crappy lately and this is just the discussion that I needed to release my tension.

Next post... "Wallyworld, Playground of your Dreams"

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if the subject is not of your liking, then don't read it...however, if you don't like what is being said, why can't you voice your opinion? You should, and are able to do that with this forum...that is why we are and should be allowed to post off-topic thoughts/information...The Jeep bbs is a public forum...aside from obscenities and personal attacks, the First Amendment applies to all. not all of my posts are off-topic, but i do like to see other jeeper's opinions...i just find it interesting...once again if the subject doesn't appeal to you, don't read it!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]"Jeep"... for President[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to make an off topic post about anything other than Jeeps and it has even remotely to do with our rights to do what
we want, feel free to post on the Land Use General Discussion board. As Sandman mentioned in another similar thread, there are
only about a half dozen or so of us that use that board with any regularity, and we have still managed to do 700 posts! Hey, we
even tolerate our funny uncle Goud sometimes, or usually we just humor him until finally one of us (usually Felgin!) can't take his bs
anymore. Anyway, look at my signature, and if you don't know me you will know where I'm coming from, along with 15 years of
Jeeping I've noticed there is alot more to our sport.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quote:

"I just knew as soon as I saw the "PETA" subject line that this crap was going to happen. So predictable. So is the next post I'll see.. very predictable. "Can I fit 33's under my Jeep?" "TeamRush Ignition Upgrade Doesn't Work". Geez, the same guys complaining about off topic threads are the ones too ignorant to due a search on their questions that have been answered 5000 times already and then get pissed because everyone else is tired of posting the same responses. They are the same guys who have the same routine everyday and can't figure out why their life is so dull or why they didn't get that promotion. Single track, closed mind and never objective, only subjective."

You know, I was going to lets this stuff go...and just roll with it. I said my peace about the OTP in the PETA thread. However, I challenge the POSTER of the above CRAP to find one instance where I've fit HIS BS above. I come to this forum because I have an interest in jeeps and wheeling, not to read about PETA, et al. I rarely ask for advice from this forum. I offer replies when I can.

And BTW, I do find CJDaves posts interesting, informative and sometimes down right humorous. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lets see: I already run 33s so I don't care if they'll fit, I run a 4.3L Vortec engine, so I could care less if the TeamRush ignition works or not... and I know how to use the search engine.

Sorry if I sound a bit PO'd, or have offended you, but I am tired of all the OTP are ok replies, and then many of them "whining" about folks who don't care for them... It goes BOTH ways. I fails to see how many of these replies are anything but:

"Single track, closed mind and never objective, only subjective."

I'll now go back to "ignoring OTP" and answering questions where I can. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
<a href=http://www.tidesys.com>My jeep page</a>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:13 PM

I think everyone should get to post one new topic for each topic they respond to, even if the reply is just their opinion and they don't have a clue what they are talking about. That would keep the repeated new posts down. Pretty cool idea huh!

I like the off the topic posts every now and then, but if I don't have any interest in the topic, I just don't click on it. I don't know what PETA is so I didn't click on that discussion.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doug '97 TJ [no] I would of expected more than that out of Doug.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
there is only one thing that could of happen.
Must of burned his finger tips on some hot steel out of that milling machine.
Going to have to sharpen them cutting bits. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sorry Doug saw your post and had to LOL. Makes the wife wonder if I'm as nuts as she thinks I am.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
When someone takes the time to read an off topic post when they don't like off topic post .
Then takes the time to post to the off topic post. Make's me wonder.
Is that person one of those that live to whine,Or just wants to control
other people??????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode