CJ7 Weighs out perfect! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

CJ7 Weighs out perfect!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We are in the process of designing a Jeep trailer, and in order to do that we needed some Jeep weight figures. SO FAR, Dirt Dog has checked his 258 powered hardtop model, and to our astonishment, the rear axle was a little heavier with a full fuel tank and 137 pounds of "necessities" in the rear tool box. The actual numbers are: Front: 1680 lbs......Rear 1820 lbs....Total 3500 lbs. That was a big surprise, especially since a '96 Wrangler weighs 3300 full of gas(no tools) and an XJ weighs about 3250 with gas(no tools). Man, NO WONDER our ZJ 4.0 struggled to haul our CJ on a 2100# trailer uphill to our nest at 4500 Ft. elev.! I was concerned about getting our CJ to be 50-50 for snow driving, but that will be automatic, and maybe just a bit more in the rear. We have a heavy V8 and TH400, so we will have just a tad more front axle weight than DD's 258 4-spd. Now that I see the weights, it's NO WONDER that CJ5's "push" the front end in snow and locked FWD.....no wonder at all. I'm sure that the rear axle on a CJ5 is considerably heavier than the front.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 07:19 AM

Re: CJ7 Weighs out perfect!

Better move that axle back a few inches so you have some tongue weight....

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yeah, that's the whole point of this drill, to make sure that the trailer will accomodate different Jeeps with various wheelbase, and still be tongue-positive. I'm going to have a drive-over hump so where that hump begins would be the farthest forward the rear axle can be. The actual CG of the Jeep would be halfway between Jeep axles, so the trailer axle group centerline has to be aft of that in all cases, no matter which Jeep is loaded. What's your take on how LOW I can go with the bottom of this trailer? 8"? 10"? and still be able to get in and out of parking lots?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 09:35 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Dave, I don't know what else you plan to tow on this trailer, but I have seen some LOW bed trailers in my british car circles, and if they are too low, with the wheels/fenders at a fixed height, you can't get out of the car once you drive onto the trailer!! Seen it happen. If you're only gonna tow Jeeps, you'd probably be ok with a lowbed, though.

Here is my trailer:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...r/cartrail.htm

It tows my Jag well, and tows my Jeep well too. I played with positions of the vehicles to get them to tow without sway, moving them back and forth. I then marked positions of the wheels on the trailer, so I could get them in the right spot each time.

Just wanted to mention that.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks, Pete. That is a nice looking E-Type. I think what I might do id see how high the swing-open door is on the Jeep and maybe shoot for that swinging over the fenders. I'll have rather large tires since we are using the "winter" shoes for the CJ on the trailer to get them out from under foot.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:16 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah, you won't have any problems with the Jeep doors, just didn't know if you would be using it for other car hobbies. I met a guy with a Triumph who had to crawl out of the windows of the car when he loaded it on his trailer. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. And Triumphs don't have big windows. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. I find that the fenders of the trailer make a nice stepping point to get into the Jeep when it's up there on the trailer - be sure to make the fenders strong for that purpose. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That E-type brought tears to my eyes - I passed the best deal in the world on one in '85. A guy I know in Oneida, NY was selling his '64. All it needed was an engine rebuild and new paint. I didn't ask how much until after he sold it. $3000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everytime I see an E-type now, I cry.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Dave,
Here's another thing to think about when deciding how low to build the trailer. Backing it up a steep hill or driveway from a level spot. You don't want it so low that the tail of the trailer drags or gets hung up before the ZJ starts up the incline to "level" it all out. Just a thought that may or may not have occurred to you.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yeah, SNOW, that is a big problemo at times...no doubt about it. I have decided to begin with the bottom edge of the door and work down to the ground, then up to the Jeep tire. That will literally dictate the minimum height, then look at it and see if it is too low. Tire plus clearance under fender, plus clearance over fender(1") = bottom edge of door. Bottom edge of door minus distance to tire footprint = height of trailer deck (minimum...it CAN be higher)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 08:57 PM

Dave I weighed a 5 w/ a softtop today with an empty utility trailer(258) that wheighted(total) 3480. Maybe my 7 needs a diet. Or maybe it's just phat.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
It also had (look to be 30's) and no spare.. maybe it's just got a beer gut.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode