Tranny Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny Swap

Have some questions on which tranny to swap in my 88 YJ. Currently I am running stock 258 I-6, TF999, NP231, 4.56 gears and 35s.
The TF999 is a three speed and I would like to have an overdrive gear. I found that the Dodge A-518 is supposed to be close to what I have now But with an overdrive. Does anyone know if this will bolt up or can anyone give me an idea on what tranny to look for? I do want to stay with an auto and do not want to get my first gear any higher than it already is.

Would like to hear comments and suggestions.
Thanks GFSmith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny Swap

The only overdrive automatics that would fit your engine without adapters are the AW4 from the XJs and early '93 ZJs or the 42re/A500 from the newer ZJ 4.0s.
All Dodge transmissions have a different bolt pattern for the engine. Both Jeep overdrive automatics require computers for shifting, and are longer than the 999 you have now. Neither are readily adaptable to your Jeep unless you swapped in the wiring and EFI from a newer Jeep, which aint easy. Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode