Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Starter trouble (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/61456-starter-trouble.html)

Rio_Grande 03-15-2001 12:15 AM

Starter trouble

I am not sure if I am having a major case of the stupids or if it has just been a long time since I worked on starters but...
Can't you test a starter by hooking a set of jumper cables to a battery and then to the starter??

if so I must have a bad starter, but I tried it on one I knew was good and it would not work... Confused

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..

**DONOTDELETE** 03-15-2001 06:54 AM

Re: Starter trouble

Yes, I have to do this often in the woods. I normally do this while I am cleaning out the mud and before I put it back into the jeep to make sure it works.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

v8jeep 03-15-2001 07:00 AM

not if it is a chevy starter, you have to pull the 'S' post high on the solenoid to let the juice through it. But if it is a starter with a remote solenoid, yep it should turn with power applied directly to the starter

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>

LEVE 03-15-2001 07:07 AM

No, you're not having a case of the "stupids." V8Jeeps comment is a good one.
You can, in fact, test a starter by using jumper cables in the follwing manner.

1. Negative cable to the case.
2. Positive cable touched to the positive termial on the starter.

The starter should spin. As to why the starter would not spin:

1. Battery jumper cables are not meant to carry the current requirements of a starter.
2. MOST battery jumper cables are of quality inferior to battery leads.

It does not surprise me that you could not spin up even a new starter with some cables. Check the quality fo the cable. I'd almost bet the quality would be marginal, and the cables considered "cheap." Now that's not translated to inexpensive... but often the words go hand in hand. If the quality of the cable is cheap, it can charge a battery, but not supplant a battery cable.

We all need a good set of Jumper Cables. So, if you want a good set of jumpers, make 'em yourself from high quality welding leads and clamps. Silver solder the connections, if possible, if not, use good ol' rosin core solder. This will help eliminate the resistanc drop in the connections. The cost will be less that if you went out and purchased a quality set... of course you'll have to scrounge up your own fancy case.

LEVE