Welded Diff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welded Diff

Can someone give me specifics on how and why to weld a differential?? What are the drawbacks???
Miles

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:24 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Welded Diff

benefits; cheap, always know you'll have both sides going
drawbacks; both sides always going, chirping tires, hard on sharp turns
When I did the rear of my J10 I put two extra spider gears in there for a little more strength, and welded the the base of the gears, not the teeth. I haven't broken anything with it yet, but the J10 mainly sees mud.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 geared ts d20,30f,44r,soa,YJ springs,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 07:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's best if you pre-heat the cast iron with a torch or heater, then weld the sidegears/spiders to the carrier. It works great, probably the best for serious situations, no suprises, always pulling. Rather slippery on icy roads tho.

Even the best equiptment is worthless, if you don't know how to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 09:38 AM
jeepfiend

Here is a picture of my welded gears in my 12-bolt. The picture is a little dark, but you can see the weld along the edge of the gear to the carrier. If you do it, put your center pin in and tack all the gears in place, otherwise they will move, and the center pin will not want to go back in (if you are using the gears on the pin). I welded all four gears to the carrier, and then welded the gears to each other. I'll see if I can get another picture of it posted.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 09:41 AM
jeepfiend

Ok, I didn't get the picture in that one, I got a little antsy. Here it is again.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Attached Files
File Type: 9-364923-WeldedSpiders (21.3 KB, 2 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 09:50 AM
jeepfiend

I used E7018 rod, and didn't weld everything at once. I would weld one side a litte and then switch to the other side. I didn't want too much heat in the whole assembly. If you can, coat the thing with some type of anti-slag. I didn't do this, and I spent a lot of time cleaning slag. i would also leave the ring gear on. If the carrier distorts a little as it cools (always happens), you may not be able to get the ring gear back on. You can see on the side opposite the ring gear that the weld penetrates the carrier a little. You will need to make sure you get plenty of weld around the gears. The only drawbacks I have found are the accelerated tire wear, and the icey road performance (you really have to keep your foot out of it).

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Attached Files
File Type: 9-364928-CenterPin (18.8 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 09:52 AM
jeepfiend

for some reason the center pin picture did not make it in, I will try to post it again.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Attached Files
File Type: 9-364929-CenterPin (18.8 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 09:55 AM
jeepfiend

All right, one more try.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Attached Files
File Type: 9-364932-CenterPin (18.8 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 02:34 PM
jeepfiend

All right, one last try to get this other picture in. And yes my carrier bearing were so worn out that the fell of the races. Nothing a couple of shims won't fix.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-365147-CenterPin.jpg (35.9 KB, 2 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I welded mine a few weeks ago on project CheepJeep. Another alternative is to use ENi-CI (nickel rod) or ENiFe-CI (iron-nickel rod). Being the engineering geek I am, I dug up some AWS journals in my work library that discussed welding cast iron. If you can pre-heat, weld slowly, and cool properly, that is obviously best. If you blast it with no pre-heat, use steel rod, and get it too hot, cracks will form due to the heat stresses induced in the adjacent cast iron that change the composition of CI to brittle Martensite. This is further magnified by the inability of the high strength filler rod, (steel) to absorb any residual stresses. Nickel is a softer and more ductile material that absorbs the residual stresses. The concept is similar to filler materials you put in between concrete slabs to allow for expansion. Nickel-iron has higher strength than nickel rod with similar energy absorption characteristics. I chose nickel rod for the following reasons:
Free, and little or NO preheat when welding above 70F ambient temp!

I could never nail down the mechanical properties, as they are less than steel rod, but maybe only 10-20%. The trade off is that I didn't have to preheat, and I avoided all the hassles of welding CI properly with steel rods using the proper preheat and cooldown procedures.

I have the article if you'd like to see it for yourself. Good luck. Welding is a cheap alternative if you take the time to do it right. If you want to use 7018 or 6011, make sure you preheat and cool the piece properly.

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode