TeamRush or other Guru, Non-Ignition question, Flywheels.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

TeamRush or other Guru, Non-Ignition question, Flywheels..

ok.. I have a '78 401 and a '73 AMC 360, my question is.. i need a flywheel for the 401. I was just going to try and use the one off the 360. but i read some time ago on here that they have to be "balanced" to the engine or something or other. WHY? What are they talking about? i dont understand.. and nobody i "talk" with can tell me. Have put a 258 flywheel on a 304 and it worked fine. so what gives? arent all flywheels balanced.. they all spin? is it something to do with the weight? please help me understand this.
thank you..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TeamRush or other Guru, Non-Ignition question, Flywheels..

I don't understand it either but I was the one that started the thread on flywheels. I was told that it had to do with the weight and that you could balance down but not up. Like 401 to 304 but not 304 to 401. If you look in 4wd hardware they list different part #'s for the 360 and 304 flywheel but equal weights. Not much help but may get something started.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The difference is because of the different rotating weights of the various AMC V-8s, all need different external counterweights in the dampner and flywheel. The 258 and other sixes are able to be balanced internally so their flywheels and dampners have neutral balance (no counterweights). AMC V-8s can be made to balance internally, but this can be expensive. You could have your 360 flywheel rebalanced to match the 401 by a good balance shop. Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i think im getting this... so the v-8's need different weighted flywheels? so a 360 flywheel per say is 10lbs, and a 401 would be per say 11lbs... that type of thing? mmm.. i see.. that is if i am getting this right. and when you say internally balanced you mean like "balancing a motor" type of balancing. yes i think that 304 was balanced.. so that is why that would have worked. mmmm..
guess i need a 401 flywheel then.. dang.. dont have one of those laying around here..
thank you for the input.. (id put a smiley face here but i dont know how to do that)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 07:55 AM

They pretty much hit the head on the nail.
--------------------------------

You engine has ROTATING mass (spinning weight), and RECIPROCATING mass (up & down weight).
Included in ROTATING mass are the crankshaft it's self, the lower part of the connecting rods, ect.

And just like your tires, if it spins, it has to be balanced, or it will do a little dance over here for a while, then it will dance a little jig over there for a while... all the while stressing things and using up horsepower to make vibrations. (You get the picture....)

Those vibrations are always annoying, but can come to the point of being destructive real quick.

That movement as the balance shifts is really hard on bearings and thrust faces.
So they 'BALANCE' the Rotating parts of the engine.

Cheap engine builders balance outside the engine.
I've never seen an engine yet that can't be balanced inside the crankcase, but that takes lots of time and the materials are expensive.

So, if you don't want to take the time, and spend the money, you....
Remove material from the harmonic balancer and the fly wheel to try and even things out.

Every engine size will have different weights for the crank and rods, so they have to make different flywheels and harmonic balancers for them to keep them in balance when they are externally balanced.
---------------------------------

It's never a good idea to play mix and match with engine parts...
I'm sure a good machine shop with an engine balancer could balance what ever flywheel you have, and probably do it pretty reasonably.
--------------------------------

Here is a ray of hope for you...
AMC swapped cranks around like Chevy did.
Call the Jeep dealer, ask for a flywheel for your 360. GET THE PART NUMBER.
Call the Jeep dealer back, ask for a flywheel for the 401. GET THE PART NUMBER.
(might try the same thing for the 390)
You may get lucky and find out it's the same part number, and if so, it's the same flywheel.
It's a slim chance, but you may try it.
----------------------------------

Most of the so called 'Factory Balancing' was nothing more than holes drilled in the face or outside edge of the flywheel. Very rarely did they add any weight to get anything to balance.
----------------------------------

You might also try some of the rebuild shops. I just saw a catalog from a place remanufacturing AMC flywheels and harmonic balancers.
They say they resurface and re balance factory balancers and flywheels.
I ordered a harmonic balancer for a 360, and it looks pretty good, and the timing mark came up right where it should have.
(Dead on the money, actually)

Good luck on your project.
Aaron.

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

thanks Aaron.. you sure do know how to clear cobwebs.. i dont think i will find a flywheel that has the same part number. i know you can not buy a crank for the 401 anymore. mmm.... am going to balance the motor.. but that wont be till next winter. guess im looking for a flywheel.. will ask around town about the balancing of the 360 flywheel.. so in a few days... if you see a disgruntled jeeper on here.. you will know i didnt have much luck. thank you!!!
patrick

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 08:19 AM

To make the smile face, or what ever face...
use a bracket, the plain kind, like this [ then the word 'smile' then another bracket facing the oppisate way ].
I'm going to mispell the word smile so you can see what it's supposed to look like...
[sm~le] and that's all there is to it. Try blush, cool, crazy, wink, and smile and see what you get...
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

For hot link email... (Take the * out of email)
[e*mail][email protected][/e*mail]
[email protected]

For hot link web sites... again, take out the * out of url...
[*url]http://www.RideTech.com[/*url]
http://www.RideTech.com

Same thing for bold print... again, remove the *...
[*b]What Ever[*/b]
What Ever

You can do the same thing for color too, but I didn't try that yet.
Go to the FAQ and see what else you can find...

It's easy, even I learned it....

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 09:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

JeepGod,
Which transmission are you going to be running behind your 401??? If it is an automatic then you can still get them fairly easy. If you are wanting a standard flywheel then you are abolutly right about it being tough to find!!!

If you need one for a Auto tranny then let me know and I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Peanut

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 04:22 PM

Oreilly's can order auto flexplates for a 401, if your running a tf727 get one from a 1972 AMC ambassador, about $53

if its a manual, then its hard to find $250 for a new one, IM pretty sure a machine shop can balabnce that whole assembly together with whatever flywheel you happen to have right TRush? if the entire crank assembly is out and in for balancing any way?

good luck, it mee a LONG tie to find a 360 flywheel ( my engien is already together) I finally ofund one, now if I the USPS could just find the damn thing..

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

mmmm.. im running a t-18 behind it.. looks like i will be balancing the bottom half of that motor with the 360 flywheel that i have.. i also have a 258 flywheel that is nuetrally balanced.. but either way im looking at balancing the lower part of the motor.. dang it.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] i dont have the cash for this now!!! maybe i need to start a jeep building fund raiser thinging..
dont send my your sick lame and lazy.. send me your cash! so i can get this project done.. its sunny weather here.. and i am dying each day i dont have my jeep!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode