Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal Questioin - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal Questioin

I Need Help!
I bought a non-running jeep and the keys "got lost in the mail" and he doesnt have a spair set. Well I found a lock cylinder, key and all in a u-pull it place, but for the life of me, I could not figure out how it comes out! The whole column is taken apart so the lock is in the bare housing. I have the diagram from chiltons, but the lock screw is nowhere to be found!!
Also, Whats the best way (read cheapest) to change the locks on the hard top.
Thanks in advance
Bill
d

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal Questioin

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Well, Billy......the rear window of the hardtop is a cinch. Just take that sucker to a locksmith. OUR big problem was the rotary handles on the hard doors. One had a piece of key broke off in it, and the other had a locksmith's tool snapped off. The lock cylinders don't come out of the rotary handle mechanism, so we had to buy complete new ones from TOLEDO JEEP.

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks CJDave. I was hoping to avoid buying new handles. I'm going to try and take them to a lock smith tommorow. And I was able to remove my ignition lock cylinder after posting.
How come with the US mail I can get tons of junk mail that I dont want and they lose the one envelope that I really need??
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They probably thought your keys were loose change!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:49 AM
Way Outta Control

Try looking here, everything you wanted to know about tilties but were afraid to ask:

http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/column/tiltcol.html

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 04:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Hi Larry! Is that the site for TILT COLUMNS? That is one of our long-term wanna do's.
Here is the site I looked at: http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/column/tiltcol.html[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You did not say what model Jeep you are working with.... But, I've faced this problem with 82-86 CJ's. If you happen to be working with the same, or something similar, here's what I found. My manual was less-than-clear. It seemed to have an 'arrow' that pointed to something I couldn't figure out, for the 'release' of the ignition lock cylinder. I only discovered the 'trick' by accident, on another column in the junk yard. There is supposed to be an access hole to poke through, where the arrow points in the manual. What the manual did not mention is that the access hole could have casting-flashing cast over it. It's kind of like a 'knock-out'. As soon as you knock out the access hole, you can access the release on the lock cylinder. You might need to ask a locksmith about this, or go look at more columns at the junk yard.
BTW, I do not remember it as a 'lock-screw'. I think it is something you push on. But, don't trust my memory.
Good luck.

bobH
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It could be a screw lock down type or a spring loaded retainer. Some had the screw and others had the retainer. Some have a hole to push the retainer and some have no hole at all. If it has the screw then unscrew it and pull the lock out. If there is no screw but there is a hole then stick a small pocket screwdriver ground to a point in the hole, push in with the screwdriver while pulling out on the lock cylinder. If there isn't hole then you can do this: If you have a lock cylider then make sure it is in the same position as the one in the column and look to see where the retainer would be on the lock in the column then poke a hole through the metal with a center punch where the retainer should be. Push in on the retainer and the lock should be able to be pulled out (if you got it in the right spot). Clean the metal out of the hole where the lock came out so it won't cause any problems. Obviously if you are this far then you know how to get the parts between the steering wheel and the lock off.
Good luck,
Aaron

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. When I took mine out (1980) it was simple. one little tab to press on and out it came. Of course something had to go wrong. There is a little spring type thing that hold the tab. That is now somewhere in my garage never to be found again. I was able to make one out of another unused spring, but it took some time.
Thanks again
Bill

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 02:35 AM
Official Curmudgeon

CJDave,

The lock cylinders do come out of the rotary style door handles but I don't know how and not that it
helps. The original owner of my Jeep got divorced and was paranoid about his ex stealing his ride. He
removed the lock cylinders from both doors and the rear hatch and was going to have them changed. I
suppose he decided he could prevent it from being stolen more effectively by selling it. The second
owner, a friend of mine, never bothered to have new cylinders installed, so it was still sans lock
cylinders when I bought it. I bought the cylinder for the hatch but had to buy new door handles because
even though the cylinders come out the side door handles, they don't go back. I had a locksmith key
everything to match the original ignition key and install them.

I guess the original owner's fears were unfounded because his ex has never come and stolen it. Maybe
she lost interest, hasn't found it, or just doesn't recognize it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode