AMC th400 experts...bushing for the crank? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC th400 experts...bushing for the crank?

Okay all of you AMC th400 experts, here's my situation. Some of you may remember last summer I posted some questions about cracking flexplates on my th400. I'm a slow learner and now...7 months later and 1 more busted flexplate...I think I've figured out my problem. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] jjc mentioned this as a possibilty back then.
The inside diameter of my crank is 1.81
The outside diameter of the pilot hub on my convertor is 1.70
SO...when I'm bolting this back together the convertor hub is resting on the lower lip of the crank and is not properly centered...hence the vibration and early failure.
Now, I've been told by Art Carr Performance (real helpful guys) that AMC cranks appear to have come in two varieties, one with about a 1.71 i.d. that th400 convertors matched up with fine and another with a 1.81 i.d. that 727 convertors matched up with. There apparently, is also a thin bushing that AMC used to make the 1.81 i.d cranks accept the th400 convertors. I NEED ONE OF THOSE BUSHINGS!. Of course, the dealership has no clue. My local tranny guy is no help. Art Carr doesn't have anything like that.

Anybody heard of one of these bushings before?? Better yet, anyone know where I can get one??? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Shain

77 CJ7, D44s, Detroits, 4:27s, 35 SSRs, HS9500i
84 CJ8, 33s, REP8000
70 Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:36 PM

Re: AMC th400 experts...bushing for the crank?

you should find one here, a few folks I think in the last few months have swapped th400s to other trannys and had to remove that shim, maybe one of them has one not to badly mangled left over!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shain,
I honestly do not remember a bushing in there as it has been so long since I installed mine. I do have a 360 motor and a TH400 motor over in my other garage however I won't get over there tonight. But I will make a trip over tomorrow and check it out, it has me curious. As soon as I find out I'll let you know. I'll also take along my Mikes and check diameters.

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

american performance has the bushing, go to www.oldcarparts.com, phone 407-632-8299, they are in florida and it costs about 8.00 or so if i remember right, hope this helps

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! When I swapped out my TH400 for a T-18, there was this thin little steel ring in there as a bushing - always wondered why... Anyway, you have to remove it to put in the AA special pilot busihing to use a Ford T-18. Needless to say I mangled mine on the way out, but this is just to confirm, that yes, there is a bushing in there that is exactly as you describe. Good job de-bugging the problem! :-) - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 12:18 PM

Shane-
I've got a 1977 flexplate for a TH400 still on the 285 if you need it ...
John
[email protected]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jepguy...You da man!!!!. I'll call 'em Monday about the bushing. Just proves again what a valuable service this board is. Thanks guys for all your help. Jaffer thanks for the offer on the flexplate, luckily NAPA warrantied mine so it didn't cost me this go around. Hopefully, this is the last time I'll have this stinking tranny out.

Shain

77 CJ7, D44s, Detroits, 4:27s, 35 SSRs, HS9500i
84 CJ8, 33s, REP8000
70 Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode