Con-Ferr Lift Shackles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Con-Ferr Lift Shackles

i am thinking about purchasing Con-Ferr's 1.75" lift shackles, w/new energy-suspension's poly bushings. Has anyone ever used the Con-Ferrs? How much lift can i really expect out of the advertised 1.75"'s...i am looking for at least an inch and a half..thanks

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]"Jeep"... for President[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Con-Ferr Lift Shackles

If that's the advertised lift, then that's what you'll get usually. If that's how long they are over stock, you'll get half that much [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dang those are going to be some big shackles! to gain 1.75" lift from a shackle it needs to be 3.5" longer then stock. This will require about 4 degree shims under the springs to return the allignment back to stock and who really wants a shackle that is hanging down almost 7" from the front of the frame

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 05:26 PM

I'm running Con Ferr shackles and I like them other than the cross bar sits to close to the frame in the rear causing me to cut it out. This allowed me to get more movement from the spring with out the proverbial thumping when the shackles hit the frame. I use the stock length shackles because I don't think a shackle lift is very good on the suspension, just my own opinion but shared by lots of other wheelers. As to answer your question about amount of lift. Lets say you have a 2" shackle and you put it on the front axle you will get 1" of lift because you are only lifting the front of the Jeep, and not the complete front end either, just basicly putting a wedge between the frame and the front spring. This allows the axle to rotate slightly down causing the drive line angle to move upward from the normal position. This also changes the steering geometry slightly, both steering geometry, and drive line angles are dimenished by the increase in shackle length. There are hundreds of Jeeps out there with over stock length shackles on them an a lot of the owners claim no problems. Depending on how your Jeep is set up with tire combo and suspension parts will vary with every Jeep. You should get about half the lift that your shackle is sized for. There are other options for getting 1" of lift to clear tires, suspension, body lift, re-arch your springs, or go for 5" with the SPOA. You can always go for an add-a-leaf kit to get 1" of lift also, but this will add to the stiffness in spring action.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Longer shackles do have one benifit, with arched springs the stock shackles do not allow a large enough range of motion and limit travel. This works because the longer the shackle the less angular change that is required for the amount of expansion in the spring.

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i already have degree shims under my superlift, 2-inch springs, does this help??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]"Jeep"... for President[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You have the rear shimmed, right? With a 1.75" shackle lift, you'd want to shim the front too.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:27 PM

You cannot "shim" the front axle safely, can you? I thought that in order to adjust the front axle's caster angle, you have to cut the spindles off the ends, then rotate the diff output upwards, then reweld the spindles back on. that way all your steering still rests straight? Has anyone ever put shims on their front axle??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been running degree shims for over 2 months now, after getting 3.5" longer shackles I figured that 4 degree shims would return the front end to stock allignment and pinion angle. I see nothing wrong with running degree shims in the front end

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 04:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I used to have the big shackle lift (2.5" longer shackle, 1.25" lift) on my YJ, and aside from the vibrations this created (I know this can be cured with degree shims) the bigger problem for me was that the end of the spring was closer to the ground. This was mainly a problem in front, as it is easier to snag it on stuff. I bent a front spring when I stuffed the end of it into a rock. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I now have 1" longer shackles (cut down the 2.5" longer ones in front, homemade ones in the back out of 3/8" steel plate), just to keep the rear spring off the frame when it flexes flat.

I guess it's all in what you need or like, but I find that seeing really long shackles on a Jeep is like seeing a 3" body lift... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Conferr makes nice stuff though, so I don't think you can go wrong with them

Good luck
Pete

Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode