What's a good paint to use? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

What\'s a good paint to use?

I am considering painting my Jeep this spring and was wondering what is a good paint to use. I will take it to a shop that uses a hand sprayer - not a booth.

Any recommendations? I want something that is at least as good as the factory paint on my 88 YJ - low maintenance ( I haven't done crap except wash it every couple of weeks and wax once a year) and is durable. I want to have it applied over my old paint once it is preeped and the few rusty spots primered.

Any additional tips?

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 01:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: What\'s a good paint to use?

Hammerite all the way. Do a search.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you've used hammerite as the exterior paint? Just thinned it and sprayed it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 02:22 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Spray?

Yes, it can be sprayed, it even comes in spray cans. I prefer the brush on stuff, and yes, I have used it on the exterior, but only on the bottom foot or so that takes the abuse, then coated it with truck and bed coating. I plan on doing the whole Scrambler in Hammerite Tan and the wife's Zuki in Hammerite Green (don't ask) this spring.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:30 PM
WSB

I myself prefer PPG(Diztler) single stage urethane. I restored a CJ a few years ago and the paint had a unbelievable shine to it. It holds up pretty good too, scracthes easily buff out. It is pricey but, but you get what you pay for. There are other brands that I might condsider - stay away from Dupont products. From my experiences with it the shine doesn't last as long as PPG's shine. And it chips easier than PPG. Of course you need to also use quality primers and sealers as well. The undercoats are just as important if not more so than the topcoat.

I Don't know anything about Hammerite(?) !

As far a as booth vs. a hand sprayer - the difference there is the environment that the vehicle is painted in. I would take my vehicle to a shop with a booth before taking it to a shop that didn't have one. A paint booth produces a much cleaner dust free(less dust anyay) finish. Plus in a booth the paint can be baked, which cures it a lot quiker than air drying.

Wayne

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:48 PM

Hank,what part of Ga you in?Im in Social Circle in Walton Co.with nowhere to ride here due to the infamous "posted"turf we all know so well.Usually run Rich mt or Anderson crk mostly.See ya on the trail??

1 cross plus
3 nails
----------------
4 given [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 06:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

for exterior jeep use... i prefer Krylon.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]...

preferably.. pumpkin orange... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 07:04 PM

I recently painted my Jeep in a garage using Dupont's Duron. I liked the results and the paint was pretty cheap for a name brand.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 09:24 PM

While not trying to start a debate or fight with an above post........I really like dupont "centary" single stage. I have used ppg paints too and while a direct competetar I don't care for them. Look at the TOP paint shops and see what they use. Centary with a gloss hardner looks great,shines great, is cost effective and DOES NOT CHIP any easier than ditzler. I honestly think dupont is easier to paint too. If you want to step up a notch in a single stage paint, try imron. This is not a cheap single stage paint but no one can say its crap. It was for years "THE" paint used for boats, airplanes, and upper end paint jobs. This stuff wears like iron. Nowdays multi stage paints are the norm, but for something like my jeep........just give me my centary.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:44 PM

if i can ever get a jeep again and if i have to paint it. (2 if's[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])- I am going to go down to a small airport by my house and figure out what the best aircraft paint is. I have seen airplane scrapyards with 30+ year old planes sitting there w/ out any rust. Now thats hard to do! Just think, plane paint has to withstand super cold temps for high alt cruising, super hot temps for sitting on a tarmac for long periods, 600+ air speeds, and lots of salt or other chemicals used on the runways. How could this not be the way to go? The only thing wrong mught be the price. But i would gladly pay whatever it is to not have another CJ rust in MO.

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode