tire pluggin', how to: - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

tire pluggin\', how to:

here is a trick of mine that i thought someone could use when plugging a tire. i have probably inserted 50+ plugs this way and have not had one leak, ever. we have Osage Orange and Locust trees in the yard, lots of thorns in the jeep, mower, trailers, ATV, etc. tires. here we go: find the hole to plug and make sure it is pluggable. drill the hole out with a 1/4" drill bit. put alot of force on the drill and spin the bit slowly. just enough to get through the tire with the bit spinning. insert the plug in the plug insertion tool. heat it up until it appears gooey and barely burns on its own with a propane (or other) torch. now, insert the plug into the tire. let cool before trimming the plug flush with the tread and inflating. i started doing this after putting a couple plugs in with the supplied rubber cement. they both leaked and came back out. i have not had any fail doing it this way. hope this helps someone out! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:26 PM
Old Hand

Re: tire pluggin\', how to:

good tip!!! I have heard of guys doing that when they ran out of cement.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have used the hot-melt method useing the rubber tarp straps for emergency off-road repairs, It worked.
Plugs are ok for small repairs on street tires, but don't use them for big cuts. We were flat towing the jeep thru KY and ran the LF jeep tire over a bottle bottom, a kid at a gas station "fixed" it while we ate. When we got up to about 70mph the plugs blew out, and the whole rig, suburban and jeep started spinning down the expressway pivoting on that 38 groundhog. The jeep hit a conc. pier and flipped, and thats all that stopped us...Another lesson learned the hard way.

Even the best equiptment is worthless, if you don't know how to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:52 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Plugs are illegal in Maine. You can't get an inspection with them in the tire. Just gotta love that MA influence, sheer stupidity.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have used plugs with good results but they are a poor repair compared to a patch on the inside. Gas stations like them because there fast. I worked a shop that specalized in tires and we refused to use them. to many unhappy customers.

Good feild repair thou.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:29 PM

at the shop i work at we ALWAYS plug the hole using the cement method and then apply a patch to the inside of the tire. They DONT leak!

1/4 an inch is a BIG HOLE IN A RADIAL TIRE. At 1/4' its normally a judgement call on wether or not the tire is strong enough to be driven at 70+mph. With a plug and a patch there is no fear that the tire will leak. The problem comes in the STEEL BELTS. If they are torn too much or if ANY water gets in the hole you have a serious safety issue. Of course this only applies if you are driving on the road. On the trail who cares??

If using the heat method rember to drill the smallest hole possible.

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode