Where to find scrap metal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Where to find scrap metal?

Just wondering where some of you find material to fabricate things like bumpers, tire carriers, repair panels, etc. Buying the pieces at Home Depot or the like seems kinda pricey. I haven't spoken to any local scrap dealers yet but will, if that seems the route to go. Thank,

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400, 31" BFG AT's, TFI upgrade
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces, parts Jeep
"They can take my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:17 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Where to find scrap metal?

Scrap dealers, junkyards, machine shops, garages, piles beside people's houses, transfer stations, advertisements, abandoned factories, local public works department, clubs, and friends. Sometimes you get a deal, sometimes you don't when it's a specific piece of metal you're looking for. My Scrambler bed used to be part of a floor at a factory, they removed the diamondplating when they retooled. Got a 4'x10'x1/8" piece for $30, it weighed about 350 pounds and was a PITA to get into the back of the truck.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:19 AM

scrap dealers are a good start. new steel isn't that expensive compared to home-depot. also try local welding shops, sheetmetal shops, machine shops. tell them what you are doing, ask if they have any scrap you can dig through and how much they would want for the parts. you may get lucky and find someone that will give it to you. hope this helps! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:36 PM

Look in the yellow pages under "steel". Mine comes from a distributor; they sell bulk to large contractors and have a section of their yard that is all scrap, sorted flat, angle, c-channel, tube, etc. in various random lengths. It's all sold by the pound, currently 28 cents per.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 09:33 PM

I always hit the places that JEEPN mentioned.......almost in that order.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] You should be able to find what you need without buying new.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THere is a steel recycler in the Charlotte area that I go to to buy all my steel. They have new and "used" steel. Used stuff is stuff that may have been new stuff that they cut and just left out on the outside racks to rust. I just bought over 200 lbs of steel for the whopping price of $36. 100 lbs went to my front bumper and winch mount and the other 100 will be a rear bumper for my Jeep with swingaway tire carrier (BEEFY) and some 1/4"+ angle iron that I bought for my girlfriend's Jeep for a rear bumper/step.

Look at "Steel, Used" in the phone book or do a search online. I'm sure you have a recycler near you.

Matt Abbott
90 YJ "Mangler" with TPI 305 Chevy/ SM465/ Dana20 SOA on Scout Dana44's on 35" BFG MT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode