tow hooks or rings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

tow hooks or rings

I am going to make some kind of tow hook today does anyone have any pics of theirs so i can get some ideas. I have double tube bumpers so it might be tricky finding a good placement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:04 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: tow hooks or rings

You know, if I knew where you were, I might be inclined to throw some hooks your way, I have a bunch laying around. The pic shows most of the types I have laying around as spares. The Rhino Horns are being used, as are the 46,000 pound D-rings, and maybe the Chevy ones, not sure yet. I'm sure we can build/find something that will work though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

oh i thought you talked to my brother the other night about a maine run and he told you? Either way i am located in Gray. I talked to you a while back about doing an SOA conversion.

Do you know where i could pick up some of those D rings. I think that is what i am going for i will just have to make a mount in between the tubes of the bumper and weld them on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Sorry, I didn't know, no one mentioned it, thanks. Your brother?

You can pick them up locally at a trailer yard (one that builds trailers), or at a farm supply store. They're like $15 each and are typically a weld on, 3/8" thick. I got these at On-The-Road trailers in Warren. Reid Tool also sells them (catalog), and the ones with the bent D-ring, for like $11 each.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 02:18 PM

I have a double tube setup as well. I think I'm going to weld a couple of thick pieces of anlge iron together over the gap between the two tubes. Then drill holes in each for the D ring.
If you know anyone that works on the pipline, apparently they have tons of them laying around [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I have one but need one to match.

I'm about 20min from the Gray exit btw.

big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 02:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I wouldnt use those tube bumpers to pull from. They are light weight junk metal. My brother in law has them on his cj and the first time we pulled from the front one it bent. The mounting tabs are also something to be desired. I dont have a pic of where we put his tow hooks on the front. If you want one email me and i will get you one.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 08:28 PM

ohhhh but you haven't seen my tube bumpers! They weigh 150lbs ea. I slid a rope over one of the tube on the front a few days ago and snatched out a F350. Thought for sure I'd bend it a little, nope, nodda [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I do know what you are talking about though (just had to brag a little on my bumpers since I probably have 150 hrs of labor in those damm things!). I looked in to getting those thin wall jobbers so I looked closely at a friends YJ that had them on. I could believe how cheaply they were built! No offense to those that have them, they look real sharp, just don't try to tow with them.
good point pontiac.
big ed

<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 09:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Glad to see you dont have those cheap things. My brother in law bought the jeep with them on there. If you can send us a pic of your bumpers.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like those cheaply built tube bumpers... Of course I also know not to pull with them

CJ

Rusty beat-up old junker with many problems.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 07:53 AM

I lost some of the close up pics of my bumpers. This one shows my front bumper, the rear is just straight tubes joined by two saddled out chunks of tubing. Tubes are 3/16" and are capped with handrail caps, all junctions were ginded (ground) down smooth then sprayed with gloss black enamel. I will be putting a receiver hitch in the front sometime, between the tubes. Will probably put the D ring holders on front and back.
big ed
pic of my bumpers:
http://members.dencity.com/suckowe/yj6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode