This jeep lean thing... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This jeep lean thing...

Its about got the best of me...Im sick of looking at a lopsided cj5. Im going to do something about it! It sits nearly 2" lower on the drivers side.

Im either going to add a leaf on the drivers side rear or have my springs re arced on the drivers side. Any suggestions..

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: This jeep lean thing...

Find out why it sags just on the drivers side. I doubt that your springs would just sag 2" front and rear on your drivers side. If you do decide to re-arch or replace your springs remember that springs should be replaced at least two at a time (front and rear) if not all 4 at one time.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see you have a 75 5 too. Yours doesnt lean?

My 5 leaned with the stock leafs on it and now leans with the 2.5" lift springs too????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same thing on the right ft. of a cj-7, I tried new springs several times, I also tried tweaking the frame on a rack, but I couldn't get rid of it. Maybe add another long leaf on that side, and try it. It's a jeep thing

Even the best equiptment is worthless, if you don't know how to use it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a 1.25 in sag on the drivers side of my 76 CJ5 with rough county 2 1/2 lift, when I bought it. I immediately said, oh must be the springs on drivers side, I went out bought a new superlift 2 1/2 lift. After the install, I was shocked to find, the exact same sag. Now $300.00 something later wasted.

I then tried taking a spring leaf out of the old springs and put it in just the driver rear. Fixed it down to about 1/2 to 3/4 of inch. I have since taken it out just to keep left and right same. Looking at my shackles in the rear I see that one has a different slope or angle, Someday I will figure the mystery out, IF YOU DO LET US ALL KNOW.

So dont just go buy new springs, I have been told that Jeep in the earlier years where designed with some sag on drivers side (FOR TORQUE OR SOMETHING" and a LARGE amount would be from tweaked frame.

Later,
RICH

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:22 PM
Old Hand

My YJ leaned to the passengers side a bit until I swapped to a larger motor. Then it was almost level.

I recently installed the pro comp coil spring conversion kit and now it leans to the passenger side again by almost 1". After I go wheeling it leans to the drivers side by the same amount?!

My buddies CJ5 leans to the drivers side almost 2" and after he wheels its level for a couple of days.

It's a mystery!

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try swapping the springs from side to side and see if it helps. Also, on a '75 it doesn't matter which end of the springs is front and which is rear. Now don't think I'm confused with the difference between the front springs and rear springs. On my '75 one of the springs on the front has the clamp (only one clamp per spring on mine) in front of the axle and the other side has it behind the axle. Sometimes I wonder if this is what makes mine lean 3/4 lower on the driver's side. It doesn't bother me anymore so I haven't switched on of them around to find out. I can't imagine looking at 2" of difference though.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:43 PM
Pooh-Bah

My 5 didnt lean with the stock springs, but when converted to soa and yj springs its off by about 1/2". I swapped springs around and still high on pass. side. Off the ground all measurements are the same, but back on ground it off?

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 geared ts d20,30f,44r,soa,YJ springs,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ya, that 2" looks even worse when I put my trail rack on!! I guess if looks are the only thing im worried about I could mount my trail rack crooked and it'd even things out[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]!!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought y'all Jeepers would be more creative than this! Go find yourself a big fat girl, and drive her around for a week or so. If you normally are driving your Jeep by yourself, you've got at least a 150lb load or so on the driver's side. Over time, it'll have its effect. The obese passenger trick should equal it out.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode