Automatic upgrades - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Automatic upgrades

It's time to start putting the drivetrain together so I need some advice. I'm goimg to be running a TH350/d18. What upgrades do I need to do to the trans? I know I want a reverse pattern manual valve body. What, if anything, can I do to increase the engine breaking? Anything else I need to do to it?

Thanks
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Automatic upgrades

I am to automatics what an orangutan is to a brain surgeon.

But...I think I've learned enough to know what I want - that being a rebuild inclusive of shift kit, lower planetaries and to fix the damn crack in the housing!

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 01:06 PM
Old Hand

Picking the right torque convertor for your gearing is a must! I run the TH350 with a '98 4.3 Vortec, NP231 (2.72 low), and 4.10 gears with 34" TSL's. When I come to a steep obstacle the motor goes under load, the jeep slows down and crawls..I mean crawls! On really steep climbs or real rocky terrain, the jeep will almost stop with the motor still idling, and just a nudge on the throttle gets her going - great control. I am running a stall just a bit higher than stock - the B&M traveler I think.

With that kind of slippage, a tranny cooler is a must. I also run a deeper pan on the tranny that has a magnetic drain plug and cooling fins. If you wheel a bunch, install an external filter kit so you can change the fluid and filter more often. Perma Cool makes a kit that installs in your cooler line that has a sending unit for a temp gauge.

I bought all that stuff from summit racing.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was planning on running an auto (727), and I feel the extra control of a manual valve body is a must. You can get a B&M manual pac to retain a forward shift pattern. A recent purchase has put my future Jeep upgrades on indefinate hold, so who knows when I will end up doing the auto swap. The more I researched the auto, the more I felt it is the way to go. Just make sure you use a proper convertor, I really feel that is the key to a very successful auto setup.

Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It all sounds like good preperation.
How do I determind the proper convertor to use? I've also read that they can be setup for engine braking but can't figure out how that would work with and auto.

Thanks
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Torque converter selection can be tough. IMHO, use a stock, or if you can find one, tighter than stock, but that would have worked in my application, or rockcrawling. if you run mud, you will need a higher stall converter, but I would still stay very mild, unless all you do is mud, then you could use a fairly high stall converter.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode