Is a SOA illegal in MA or any other state? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Is a SOA illegal in MA or any other state?

I heard that a SOA was illegal in Maine. I am considering doing one and never thought that it may be illegal in Massachusetts. Anyone from Mass have one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:53 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Is a SOA illegal in MA or any other state?

It's not illegal in MA, I know tons of people down there running them. It's also only illegal up here if the axles came from the factory SUA setup, if they were SOA, it's fine in a SOA configuraiton when you transplant them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:05 PM
Addict

Do they really check?

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey guys...
sorry to rain on your parade, but yes, a SOA is illegal in massachusetts. as a matter of fact, ANY alteration to vehicle height is now illegal in taxachusetts. yes, that's right, this state $ucks. according to the new enhanced safety and emmisions inspection, that was introduced last october, there can be no more altering a vehicle's height. they wont specifically look to make sure you didnt convert to SOA, but they WILL measure the height. I have a 3" suspension lift, a 1" body, and 33" tires, and when I pulled into the inspection place, the guy's first words were "how high?" and i said "huh?" and he told me that you cannot alter the vehicle's height anymore in MA. he showed me the regulation book.
they measure the vehicles from the bottem of the door opening. odd place, i know. why not the bumper? you got me. well, the measurement is supposed to be no more than 25" from the ground to the bottem of the door opening, with a 1" tolerance. mine measureed out at 34". there is no way that even a stock cj could pass then, i figured. so needless to say, i didnt get my sticker that day.
thats not to say you still cant do it. you could always throw on some p215's for inspection time, like i do. the 2nd place i went to didnt bother to measure me, b/c with the small tires, it appeared close to stock height. i also have to swap in my stock exhaust manifold, with a catalytic converter and muffler, so i will pass the visual inspection, even though i am exempt from the emmisions test. any vehicle that came with a cat from the factory has to have a cat to pass in MA. anything newer than '83 has to pass emissions.
so, in conclusion, i would say go for the SOA, and get a set of p215's or smaller, to swap on for inspection. and hunt around for a more leniant inspection station.

Good luck!
Justin,
Worcester Area

Justin
www.geocities.com/jeepboyjus
'83 CJ-7, 258, TR ignition, headers, T5/D300, 3" suspension, 1" body, Moser 1 pce axles, Model 20, 3.54:1
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 04:03 AM
scram

I hate laws!!!!!! SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 08:14 AM

This is all true.....except '82 and earlier there is no visual either. Or at least there was not last april when I got mine inspected under the new laws. I have no emissions and no cats and I passed no problem.
I have about 4" of combined lift body, shackles, spring and I would not pass with 33" tires on it. I put on a set of 31's and just passed. There is a 3" buffer zone on that 25" so if you are at 28" you will probably pass...depends in the inspection station. The inspector actually told me that I could go up another two inches and still pass.
I don't think SOA is illegal as far as the mod goes....but if you want to make it street legal you need to get it under the height limit.

Hey, OC where in the worcester area are you? I'm right down the road in Northborough.
'79 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 08:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

WOW, that's NEW! I have a bunch of friends in MA that always do SOA's on their new vehicles, all the time. I also knew they used to have some funky height requirement/calculation that was based on wheelbase and width. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't mean to try to post any bad info, I didn't realize they changed it that recently, no one mentioned anything. Good thing I live up here. We have height restrictions as well, but it's based on vehcile type and GVWR, which is why I went to 1/2 ton gear, it'll get me 2" higher, the next is 1 ton gear, which is another 2", maybe down the road I will, but after the engine and frame swap.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just the fact of moving the springs over the axle is not illegal. Its the hight gained by this action. If you do a SOA, I think you will be overhight no matter what tire you run. Every vehicle has its own limit in Ma. Its a mathmatical nightmare. WBxWidthxWeight. So Jeeps/Land Cruisers and such can have less lift than full size vehicles. They measure from the door, so there is no way to screw with it (drop bumpers, etc) These laws also apply to Lowriders..thank God

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I am going to 35 BFG muds. So I may go with a 4.5 RE extreme, 1" body, and some fender trimming. I could always get a set of 205 tires and pop the body lift out once a year if needed.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i went and got my inspection sticker THE DAY before i installed my lift and now i am good for another year.

i figure in a years time of searching i will find the $75 Inspection station with blind inspectors!!

my .02

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode