TEX, Here's rest of story! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

TEX, Here\'s rest of story!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] While you are "connected" and learning about turbo chargers, here's the REST of the story. DIESEL engines have no vacuum...the intake is wide open all the time.....so even at idle a huge amount of air is going through the engine. In fact, on naturally aspirated diesels, the volumetric efficiency at idle is very high due to neglible intake losses. Anyway, because they pass A LOT of air at idle, a four-stroke Cummins or Cat will cool from 1000 degrees F down to about 400 in seven or eight minutes. A two-stroke Jimmy will do it a lot quicker(more air)....about five minutes. So, you're a smart guy, you KNOW about engines, what about a gasser? How would THEY cool down a turbo? How long to you have to sit and idle after a hard pull up a very long grade to your sweetie's house? Does she have to wait and stew while you listen to a tape or is it as fast as the diesel? And another thing, IF your girfriend lived at the top of a long grade, would you be better off with a SUPERCHARGED Mustang or a Nissan twin turbo?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I can't get these moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] to shut up. They claim that they have the answer already.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 11:01 AM
TEX

Re: TEX, Here\'s rest of story!

<font color=purple>Drawin' a blank. Lower operating temps? And if the girlfriend lived at the top of a long grade (or anywhere else for that matter), the correct answer is "neither a nor b. I choose option "c" - a Jeep[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]". But, if those were the only two possibilities, the blown Mustang over the turbos is my guess.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are actually lowering exhaust gas temps. My guess is that the supercharged Mustang would be a better bet as it doesn't create as much heat and the blower at idle is still pumping air which would cool (even though the compression heats up the air) versus the turbo which is not spinning. But then again....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm letting my moonguy-in-chief[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] of induction systems handle this and he says that the answer is that SUPERCHARGERS are belt or gear driven and do not use exhaust gases to make them spin and pump air. Therefore they don't heat up, and therefore they allow rapid shut-down just as a naturally-aspirated engine would. So girlfriend would not have to wait. As soon as you rolled in you could hop out and into her waiting arms.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Girlfriend would LOVE the Mustang and hate the Nissan twin-turbo.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to let a gas engine with turbo idle for about 30 seconds before shutting the engine off so the oil oil can get to it. As for a supercharger I think you can just shut them down.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can shut off a supercharged engine immediately. It's not the actual temp of the engine that is a concern with a turbocharged variety. If your cooling system is doing what it should, it is no hotter than a naturally aspirated engine. It's the exhaust gas temperature that gets super hot with a turbo and heats up the turbo itself. Once it's hot the oil in it needs to keep circulating or it will coke, or harden, on you. I've seen my EGT's go as high as 1200F on a steep climb and a heavy load and as soon as you take your foot out of it a bit, they drop right away. Superchargers do add heat though even if they aren't driven by exhaust. That compression of the air causes all those little molecules to move a lot faster and they create heat. I had a SBC with a BDS 6-71 blower on it and that thing always ran really hot (over 200F consistently) even with a very efficient cooling system. It didn't help though that I had the block bored .060 over and the cylinder walls were super thin!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Very good explanation SnowTow....right on. Did you see that Tim? It's the oil-cooled center section of the turbo that is the problem. Did you know that aircraft had turbochargers during WWII? Yep, but without the space-age ceramics and so forth they could not allow high temps, so the exhaust pipes were run outside the engine nacelle and THEN to the turbo.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a basic turbo question.
If there was a cooler that the oil that was going to the turbo ran through, would there be a quicker cooldown time? If the oil is cooler, won't it absorb the heat better and cause lower turbo temps? I have no reason for asking, just curious.

Ed

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yes.....anything would help. Actually, the turbo engines have a bigger oil cooler just because of that. But you see, the REAL problem comes when the guy shuts the engine off and the oil STOPS.....and cooks.....and cooks....and cooks.......into nice hard coke.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about an after run oil pump??? Just like the electric fans on new cars, let just the oil circulate for a minute, or so, giving the Turbo time to cool, and not cook the oil that ends up there??? Just an idea, could also speed up oil changes, just unplug a line, and pump the oil out, and build Oil pressure b4 start-up.... Hmmm
BJ

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode