suspension lift help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

suspension lift help

I have an 80 cj7. its all stock cept for the front bumper. fist thing i want to do is ad a lift that would be pretty versatile. Not really for street drivin but mre like being at home in mud, sand, rocks and whatever else i can find. I am thinkin about a spring over. Is that a good setup? I read about using wrangler springs on that conversion. Would ford half or 3/4 ton leafs work? Any hel i could get would be great cause i know next to nuthin about suspension.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 10:13 PM
Addict

Re: suspension lift help

I guess I'll throw what I know out there. My CJ is not spring over axle (SOA) but I do know it is a lot more work than just throwing the springs on top of the axle. Lots of custom fab work, planning, etc. in order to do it correctly. Depending on how much lift you want/need, the easiest thing would be a spring under (SUA) kit that'll get you up to 4" of lift. That'll fit 33's. With 1-1.5" body lift and maybe some fender trimming you'll get 35's under there. From what I know of SOA set-ups, Wrangler springs work well but tend to wear out quickly. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400, 31" BFG AT's, TFI upgrade
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces, parts Jeep
"They can take my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 07:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: suspension lift help

your narrow trac, weak axles are not worth doing all the work of a SOA to. if you really want to make this thing so it wont break, get some axles from a 77 chevy and outboard the spring perches.the wrangler springs dont seem to give enough lift for 35's no matter what people say..it could be the v-8's we put over the sprins too though...

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode