How can I increase tongue weight when flat towing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How can I increase tongue weight when flat towing?

Hi - someone in the other post mentioned something about the tongue weight on my truck when flat towing. How can I do this? I'm towing a '79 CJ-7 that weighs close to 4000 lbs. with a 2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad cab shortbed 360. All I'm doing now is keeping the Jeep unloaded until I get there which keeps the back pretty light in comparison to the engine and all... Thanks! - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How can I increase tongue weight when flat towing?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You could build a nice trailer for that CJ7 like we are getting ready to do[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Otherwuse, Chuck, you will have to rig a setup that uses two large truck spring leaves under the "Vee" towbar. The springs are inverted and have a shackle out on the towbar and a pocket that the oppisite end can go into that is rigid with the Jeep frame. OR....you could make a special towbar that hooked far back on the jeep frame and then had a heavy cross spring near the bumber to add downpressure. ...OR...you could make the twobat such that it came down and locked at any sopt you wanted so that it was then rigid with the Jeep frame. You could add pre-load with a jack before you "pinned" the towbar.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm working up a trailer design that will weigh under 1000 pounds, will carry the Jeep low to the ground, have two axles with Jeep wheel patterns, and be very low cost. I've grabbed good ideas from lots of guys on this board and just recently have the figures on weight and center of gravity so I can locate the axles. We have a Quadra-Trac Th400 CJ, so towing is out for us.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You really don't need extra tongue weight when flat towing. The idea behind putting weight on the tongue of a trailer is to keep weight on the back of the truck for handling reasons. A trailer that is tail heavy is hard to handle and has a tendency to sway back and forth. With flat towing this isn't a problem because the towing vehicle isn't bearing the weight of the towed vehicle. There also isn't an axle (or closely spaced axles) to act as a pivot point for a weight shift up or down on the towing vehicle at the hitch.
Not to mention the attachment of the towbar to the Jeep usually isn't a rigid connection and added tongue weight would do nothing more than push the towbar down only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave - Thanks for the ideas - I like the first one the best, I think I can picture it... Anyway, I'm leaving Saturday morning, so we'll see how it goes for now. Eventually, I will be getting a trailer, as I have a bunch of other vintage car projects that will need to be towed around as well - I don't see me flat towing an E-type Jag...

AS an aside, I've been meaning to ask you/tell you this for a while. I do alot of hard core off-road, and I threw in the towel on the Q-trac and swapped in a T-18, Dana 18, and a Warn OD. I personally think there's no comparison - this made the Jeep a whole new animal. Maybe with your whole snow deal you're not into that, but for hard core off-road, I found from experience that the Q-trac and the pitiful 1st gear of the TH400 was just not getting the job done. And on that note, I have two perfectly fine TH400's for this setup that are free to anyone who wants to come and get them - with torque converters. - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As I have so often mentioned, the QTs have some built-in deficiencies that have to be over come, and once they are modified for us up here in the snow, there's nothing better unless it is a 242 case like the ZJ has. Chuck, I would hate to tell you how tough it was for us to find a good TH400 case to build since our case was kaputzo. By some chance do you have the QT low range attachment? Ours is just regular drive and we were thinking about adding low range someday if we can ever run across one that isn't too darn loose.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry Dave, I sold both of the low-range attachments that I had...

Chuck Hadley
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 11:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Drat! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode