Howell TBI MPG? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Howell TBI MPG?

i read a lil while back that the webber carb had bad gas milage....so my next choice was howell's TBI setup.

how is this in terms of MPG...an improvement i hope? what are your critiques from those of you who have it?

thanks [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Howell TBI MPG?

I have no idea what my mileage is now or what it was. My Jeep doesn't get out of the garage much and when it does it's usually in low range. I bought Howell's EFI to get rid of the stalling, hard starting, and other quirks of the carb. Adding the kit fulfilled everything I had expected of it and then some. Granted it is expensive and a 4.0 swap may have been cheaper, but you can't beat the ease of installing this kit. Now I know that when I point the nose up a hill or get off camber the engine will keep running. I also know that it won't puke around when I go from 6,000 feet to 11,000. It has to get better gas mileage as the emissions levels plummeted with the install. Hopefully someone else can give you hard numbers to look at.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:36 PM
Way Outta Control

1. My Jeep Specs:
83 CJ7
258 I6
Transmission: TF999, 3 sp. automatic
Transfer Case: Dana 300
Tires 28"
Suspension: Stock
MPG before with OEM BBD Carb: 13.5 mpg.
MPG AFTER Howell TBI Install: 19.5 average mpg.

2. Suggestions:

a. Install a Cheap code reader so you see it while driving down the road. Put the reader in Road Test mode. You'll be able monitor the fuel mixture rate, lean or rich, by how the reader's LED flashes. I plan on installing two switches on the dash and making this code reader part of the circuit.
b. Now go for a long ride. Watch the flashing as you idle, and go through the gears. You'll note at idle the engine goes BACK to open loop... and that should be a rich condition. As RPM's rise, the engine should go back to Closed loop, and the engine will lean out. If this does not happen, ya got a problem.
c. Check the fuel pressure at the regulator input.
d. Check the fuel pressure of the return fuel line.
c. Install a 3/8" return fuel line if the line is anything less. This will lower the fuel pressure at the fuel regulator on the TBI. If you'r running a less diameter return line the TBI fuel regulator cannot regulate the pressure to the injectors. For the given on time of the injectors more fuel is injected. Lowering the pressure will lean out the mixture. I suspect this is the problem.

This is a starting point... feel free to email me directly if you need more help.

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think he's having any problem with the EFI. Just weighing out mileage concerns of Weber vs Howell.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:21 PM
Way Outta Control

Snowtow... that last part of the Post was for you so you could best tune your EFI.. sometimes my posts ain't too clear.. thanks.....

LEVE
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304 V8
Before Howell:
8 city 8 highway
after Howell:
12 city 16 highway

Got to love it!

Mizu

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, I get it now. I think my post may have been the unclear one. I mentioned that gas mileage has to be better meaning compared to having the old carburetor. I'm so happy with the way my Jeep runs I don't know that I would want to mess with it. I did install a 3/8" return line though. Had some tubing that size laying around when I did the install so that's what was used. My CJ didn't have a return line so I had to fabricate one and buy a fuel sender with a provision for a return line.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The extra milage sounds great. The Mopar kit boasts large HP boosts, how about the Howell, any noticable increase? Does a 4.0 head swap make any difference to the kit, ie: upset the computer settings...? I know the Howell is alot more affordable than the Mopar and I'm just wondering if it will fit my needs or it I have to keep saving up for a couple more years.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode