TJ tranny help needed!!! I might have killed it. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ tranny help needed!!! I might have killed it.

I took my 97 TJ (4 liter 5 speed) out to play on Sunday afternoon and got into some pretty deep mud. Now the clutch seems to slip and then grab abruptly when easing it into gear. Also- I think I have damaged the synchros between 1st and 2nd gear. It is now difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd and requires the stick to be manhandled into 2nd. What have I done to my Jeep??? Do I have mud and stones imbedded in the clutch disk? I do have 62k miles on the original clutch so it wouldn't be out of order to replace it. What about the synchro problem- should I take the tranny apart and order the replacement parts or look for a new tranny on the BBS? Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks, Luke

JEEP- Just Empty Each Pocket. Oh well- its just money. o||||o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TJ tranny help needed!!! I might have killed it.

You >may< have screwed things up, but I'd be more inclined to think you have crap in the clutch, particularly if you were busy shifting while in deep mud. If this is the case, it will clear itself out after a while. You might try to hose it out with the engine OFF and someone stepping on the clutch pedal. Don't forget to block the tires!

Also, have you checked for a rock or something blocking your linkage? Can you shift when going slowly (low RPMs) and letting up on the gas with out depressing the clutch? This should work to bypass a sloppy clutch while checking the synchros. It's not for every-day driving, just a one-time check.

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

62k on a clutch is nothing. I've had twice that with no problems. If you were jamming the lever hard while playing you may have bent the shift forks. Also check that the fluid level is up on the clutch master cylinder. To have ground away the synchro's in a days play is uncommon.

If you did get mud into the plate, just wash it out with a high pressure hose.

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 02:52 AM
Wrangler88

it should be ok, it seems that every time and during off-roading my clutch starts to act up and feel all wierd and that its hard to shift into 1st and 2nd, u just probably have lots of crap somewhere stuck, anyway, give it a few days and it should be ok...good luck

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 08:30 AM
I Do This For The Glory

There is no linkage on a TJ. Probably just mud, flush it out and give that a try. There may be some crap in the splines so the throwout bearing isn't smooth.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The clutch got much smoother after cleaning with a power washer- but I think by grinding it into and out of gear I did damage the synchros further ( I did mess them up a little earlier this summer) how hard is it to change them out or should I think about getting a tranny out of wrecked Jeep?

JEEP- Just Empty Each Pocket. Oh well- its just money. o||||o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode