pics of full width wranglers... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

pics of full width wranglers...

Anyone have pics of full width (chevy axles) wranglers? With springovers and 35" tires if thats possible too. I just want to see how far the tires actually stick out of the body, and if it looks ok and stuff. Also, anyone have major issues with driveability? I want to still be able to take the Jeep up to moderate speeds, like60mph and still feel safe.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: pics of full width wranglers...

No pics but I saw someone with this set-up driving on the road the other day and it is hella wide. Looked even wider b/c he had no flares but to be honest with you it was kind of funny looking. I imagine it would take some getting used to as far as street driving and even tire placement while off-road.

Can someone explain the advantage of such wide axles?

'94 YJ - 4.0, 6" Suspension/Shackle lift, 33" Muds
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:18 PM
Old Hand

well coming from a diffrent point of view (I'm a samurai driver) wider axles give more stabilty on the trail. a heavier wider axle is going to keep you wheels down on off camber angles. you can also run a better selection of tire sizes and widths with wider axles. But as with most things too much can be bad I saw a samurai with I think they were Dana 44's full width it looked like crap and he couldn't flex too much because the tires would be eating his body instead of stuffing into the wells.

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a 81cj7 w/full widths on it. it is amazing on the trail but the road can be scary sometimes. i have found my super wide axles to be a great advantage. i am no longer afraid of tipping the jeep, but it also makes for interesting lines and tire placement, but i have only found my width to hurt me once so far (on upper helldorado) if you ask me it was the best upgrade i could possible ever do

you can lead people to the truth, but you cant make them understand it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-362880-Keith3.jpg (50.2 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 05:27 PM

had a 12 and 10 bolt, now 14 and 10, don't know why anyone would pay all that good cheese to have full width axles cut and resplined, then they just look like everyone else, i did a spring over, had 35's fit fine,and it looked awesome but they were bfg a/t's that came with the drivetrain, then got 33 boggers,14 inches wide with 10 inch wheels, and they stuck out about half the tire on each side.Incidentally the boggers were only a half an inch shorter than the 35's with the 35's unloaded and the boggers on the jeep, then i made antiwrap springs, as seen in the jan/feb issue of jp magazine and they flex awesome, and wont wrap with the ss boggers 4.10's in low range first on my sm465 also gained over 1.5 inches in height, and got a little stiffer. somewhere along the line i put a 3" body, to clear the engine and tranny, now with i'd say 9 or so inches the boggers look funny, but im sure i could clear 38's fine hope this helps if i can figure out how ill post some pix, maybe..

really, really reccomend the antiwrap setup and it was real easy to do! soggysod

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info everyone...soggysod,I would like to see some pics of your Jeep if you can figure it out...Do you still drive it on the street? If I do the full width thing the Jeep won't be a daily driver, but I would like to drive it in the winter so I can keep my CJ out of the salt (it already rusted out once, don't want it to happen again) Any other advice? I have an sm465 205 that I would be installing with the axles. I agree with the antiwarp thing, no way would I try it without. When you said each tire stuck out about half a tire, is that from the tub or outside of fender flares? I am trying to tuck the tires in as much as possible, if there is such a think with such wide axles.
Thanks
Dan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 10:15 PM

All K-5 Blazer gear and SOA with YJ springs and 35x12.5" tires

'Gator Chaser
Misfit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-363275-widewrangler-1.JPG (79.7 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 10:20 PM

Another

'Gator Chaser
Misfit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-363281-widewrangler-2.JPG (91.7 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What year was that magazine, and is jp the full title or are you abreviating??
Thanks

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 11:20 PM

jp magazine is the name it's owned by petersens pub. and rick pewe editor of 4wd and off road used to be ed, it only comes out every 2 mo's but i love it. it was the last isue, and i reccomend everyone with soa to do this comversion

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode