looking for a jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

looking for a jeep

hey guys anyone know where I can find a good running but rusted out jeep for cheap. I'm thinking a yj but I guess I can go with cj, maybe I can toss a yj body on cj frame have you guys heard of this at all. I'm giving up my samurai with 33's to upgrade to a v6 or v8 jeep and would like some info that would help me out. Thanx guys JIMMY

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:59 PM

Re: looking for a jeep

Hey I don't have a jeep for sale but know of a guy in indiana that has tons of jeeps for sale his e-mail is [email protected] that's also his aol instant messanger tell him rjsres sent you he has tons of jeeps starting at about a grand for some rusty cj's and going pretty high for some cj's that have had frame off restorations. Hey I also noticed you are in chicago I'm in the North east burbs.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Jeeper: thanx for the info. you wouldn't by anychance be a NorthWestern student would you. Cause I love Buffalo Joe's if you are. Yeah I'm from chicago but go to school up in dekalb right now. I'll be moving back home in a year when I graduate. dude really thanx for the info. I really waould love to get my hands a good running jeep I'm thinking about tossing a fiberglass YJ body on a cj frame. do you know of anyone that has done this conversion. I'm just trying to build a nice rig a students budget. with a samurai that's easy to do with less then a grand I had 12 inch's of lift and 33's but jeeps cost a whol lot more to build for some reason.

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:37 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That depends on the mods you do. I own several Zuki's now, and several jeeps, not getting rid of either. My jeep has been decent, I've done all the bodywork and all the mods, but cheap. I swapped in some Scout II axles and a 1 ton Chevy drivetrain, all for cheap $$$ ($250 without the lockers). If you scrounge and trade to get parts, it'll go cheap. It also depends on what you want to do with it. If you're swapping a V-8, get a decent body and frame, and start swapping. A 350 Chevy engine will run you about $400 up here, or $600 in the truck and running. Swap the whole mess over. Find some Waggie or Scout axles (I just sold a running V-8 auto Scout II for $200, they rust out wicked), and do your own mods. There are a lot of parking lot mechanics here, and someone has done it before. It's a popular misconception on the Zuki BBS that jeeps are expensive. Only certain parts are, but actually they're pretty decent.

Why are/did you get rid of the Zuki, they go well off-road also.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey Zuku26

i think i've seen you around NIU's campus.....are you the owner of the white Zuke with MT.....its the only one like it on campus ....

i have a rusty CJ7 if you are interested in going wheel'n let me know....i dont know too many local places, but i know a bunch of other guys that would be up for it.

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Jeepngreg you have deal, I've been looing for people to wheel with for the longest I found another lifted zook out here it's grey or blue I forget, but the guy wasn't about wheeling (go figure). But yep that white one (ZUKU) she's mine. Dude stop by my house when ever you want I live at the Phi Kappa Theta House. My rides get royal treatment and get's parked in the garage but if you ring the bell I'm usually home or someone can tell you where I'm at. when you come back from spring break she might not be white though I'm going yellow and black with her.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:29 PM

So the question remains.Why are you parting with your zuk?Especially since it sounds like you have your mods.I own an XJ and a zuk but with the zuk theres no guilt factor after sometimes bangin it up on the trail like there is with my XJ[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

1 cross plus
3 nails
----------------
4 given [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

power, is the main thing. I'm not going to spend the 6 g's and drop in a 4.3 plus axles when I can find another vehicle already with the bigger engine and stronger axles for cheap. I'm trying to make a deal with my dad so I can keep the zook and him pay for a new SUV for me, bt I'm not sure. I really love to keep my zook, I built her my self you know but sometimes one must lt go to progress. If I can progress pulling my zook with me I will but if not I need something a bit less extreme.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Finally.. you've came over to our side [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Goodluck on your search

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I wouldn't say our side I'm still going to be true to my zookers. we all Roll the same trails so it's all the same to me. I'm eventually going to get another zook that's for sure. I plan on making my next zook a LWB but until then I need something a little more everyday. If I had my way I'd just get a yellow defender but dad says I have to wait till I graduate before he'll think about it. but you never know he might bring me one home next week. so then all my searching will be done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode