AMAZING! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

AMAZING!

I called the dealer about my engine light coming on after washing the engine after four wheeling and he told me to bring it in and he would clear the codes. He said normally four wheelin would void the warranty but he would fix it if it came back on. He even said he "wanted" to help me and would do it all under warranty and would act like he knew nothing about me wheelin! Maybe i need to work on him about my noisy transmission! I have never had a dealer WANT to help, much less after having even the slightest reason not to.

'00 TJ,2" susp.,2" body, K&N performance inject, Gibson Cat Back, D30, D35 w/Super 35 30 spline axle kit w/detroit locker,Jet chip, 35" Super Swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 02:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: AMAZING!

the noisy tranny should be an easy fix since there was a technical service bullitin on the issue.

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats great b/c you are right about dealers but what amazes me more is that they have the audacity to say that wheeling voids your warranty! WTF do you buy a Jeep for? Four wheel drive and ground clearance certainly isn't for comfortable communting or a night on the town.

Dealers piss me off, lucky you found one to work with you. The *******s at the Acura dealership wouldn't do warranty work on my car b/c I had replaced the radiator hoses with something other than factory! Whatever...

'94 YJ - 4.0, 6" Suspension/Shackle lift, 33" Muds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

"wheelin' voids the warranty"????
thanks for giving me a research project for today. i am going to call around and check into such an idiotic statement. i've heard dealers and recruiters say STUPID things but that is rich!!!!

83 CJ-7 TF-999, Original stock EVERYTHING when purchased. Now added leafs, shackles and shocks with new 33's. AND FINALLY PAINT !!!!! Now lets break something!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:35 PM

When we got our 99xj (used off of a lease in 99) I asked the warenty guy if our extended warenty would cover wheeling breakage such as axle shafts, he said it would as long as it wasn't lifted or modified. A while back one of the 4 by mags wrote an article on this and they quoted jeeps warenty it said that they have to prove that the aftermarket part casued the failure of the part.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah that's the catch. i did a quick check with someone local and it's the aftermarket lifting and modifying that voids the warranty. so once you make it more off road capable you are on your own. especially if you are running 35's (wow).
of course that is not going to void your air conditioning warranty or your other systems warranties

83 CJ-7 TF-999, Original stock EVERYTHING when purchased. Now added leafs, shackles and shocks with new 33's. AND FINALLY PAINT !!!!! Now lets break something!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:43 PM
I Do This For The Glory

A dealership tried giving me that line of crap, because I had put 31's on the TJ, and told him to stuff it. The tires didn't cause the exhaust to crack, and if wheeling was illegal why was EVERY picture D/C publishes on the TJ shown off-road? He didn't have an answer and fixed the exhaust. The rest of the TJ was stock, so he didn't have a leg to stand on.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I read the warranty on my 2000TJ, and it clearly states that modifications >are< allowed. The >only< thing voided are items that have been modified. Lifting your Jeep, for instance, voids the warranty on the suspension; putting in a tail shaft correction kit voids the transfer case warranty, etc.

When dealers do warranty work, they are paid about half their going rate for repairs, so they may try to discourage such repairs. Also, there is >nothing< preventing wheeling in order to maintain the warranty!

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

So if my transmission does go out on me, would that mean my warranty was void on it or not since i haven't modified it but am running 35's and a lift and more HP?

'00 TJ,2" susp.,2" body, K&N performance inject, Gibson Cat Back, D30, D35 w/Super 35 30 spline axle kit w/detroit locker,Jet chip, 35" Super Swampers
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unfortunately I would expect them to be able to make a case for your tranny going out due to the increased strain of pushing 35's around and increased driveline angles due to the lift, not to mention the different axles and your locker. If they can find a single thing wrong with the driveline, you'll likely be paying for it.

Dealers will do anything to get away with not having to do warranty work. With all of the mods you have done, they could probably weasel out of almost anything.

Sorry for the bad news. - Andy

'94 YJ - 4.0, 6" Suspension/Shackle lift, 33" Muds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode