NV3550 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 12:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NV3550

Regarding this transmission, and a possible swap into my 92 YJ with AX15...

Is it a direct swap?

Are there any mods that need to be made?

Are there any adapters needed?

Is it better than my AX15?

What are the ratios?

Thanks!

Go hard or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 07:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NV3550

BTT, I hope someone has done this swap already.

Go hard or go home
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:07 AM
Old Hand

I personally would not recommend it. That is what's in my 2000 and it doesn't seem to handle weight or power well once oversize "stuff" is put on. I haven't heard one good thing about these transmissions. If you are spending the money, go for the nv4500, that's what i plan to do once i get the money. If you still want to know about all the specs on it, it is a 3.5 first gear, .73 OD, 3.55 R, and a GVWR of 7500 lbs. I don't know if it is a direct swap.

'00 TJ,2" susp.,2" body, K&N performance inject, Gibson Cat Back, D30, D35 w/Super 35 30 spline axle kit w/detroit locker,Jet chip, 35" Super Swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually that trans should turn out to be a good one. From the specs on it. I don't know if you remember on the early OD auto Chevy transmissions, they were having problems. Many people were complanining about them breaking all the time. Well after the first year of production they fixed the problem. Made people scared of them for a while, but once they were around for a while it was a different story. They can handle 450 lb torque at the flywheel! Pretty stout for an auto. The 700-R4 turned out to be a better transmission than initially thought.

The NV3550 offered in the TJ is a 4.01 1st, 0.78 OD, and the same rev. that was stated above. It has a decently low 1st, for off-roading. Built to handle 300 lb of torque too. If you find a '90's 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with a 5 speed then you are looking at the 3.50:1 first gear version of the NV3500. They lasted fine there, DC just screwed something up in the first year of production. Kinda like what they did with the alum. center section D44 in some WJ's. From the specs the NV3500 should turn out to be a great tranny(http://www.newventuregear.com/transmissions.html). It however is an alum. case and isn't made to handle high hp and turn big tires.

It should be a bolt in affair for swaping those transmissions. Just make sure and get the bellhousing too, I would imagine that the AX-15 and NV3550 are different. Go to the Jeep dealer and get a copy of the clutch mechanisms for a 1999(AX-15) and 2000(NV3550) TJ, cross reference the numbers to make sure they match to make sure. The NP231 should bolt up to either of these trannys.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode