T-98 specs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T-98 specs?

Anyone know the manufacturer of the T-98 (i.e.Scout, AMC, Ford) and what the first gear ratio is? I just heard its 7:1, but not sure. I'm thinking about swapping it in my '73 CJ-5 that has the 304 and T-15. What sorts of other mods am I looking at besides a change in pilot bushing, cross member, and bell housing?
Ben

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 06:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: T-98 specs?

The T98 has a 6.4:1 low gear, it is the predecesser to the T18, very similar. It was made by Borg Warner, used by at least Jeep, IH, and Ford. I'm not sure about your swap, may be a lot of work, find someone who's done it before. Here's a site with lots of tranny info, explore it. www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/t18.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 10:54 AM

I swapped a Ford T-98 into my 304cid CJ-7 coupled to a D300 by way of Advance Adapters. I puchased the tranny from Hicks, so the mainshaft had already been machined and adapters installed. This cost me about $150 more than if I had done it myself. Well worth it considering the machining of the mainshaft. The bellhousing for the Jeep T150/176 fits with one modification to one of the bolt holes. Three of the four bolts bolt right in, and then there is a hole that lines up but is too shallow to thread. I believe there was a stud that attached there. I used a wheel stud/bolt that was the correct diameter and ground off some of the head for clearance inside the bellhousing. I then just installed it as you would for a wheel. The splines keep it from turning when you torque it down. I searched for a while before I found the right lug bolt so I bought two. I can give you the part # if you need it, but I need to make a run over to the garage to get it (five miles away). Other than that, everything else just bolts on the same. The length of the tranny/xfer/adapter is the same as the stock length of a t-4 combo. Gearing runs as follows: 1st=6.40, 2nd=3.09, 3rd=1.69, 4th=1.00

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got a t-98 tranny for 25$. it came from a ford, i believe. It had a 6.4 to 1 1st, maybe 7 to 1 reverse. It is very similar to a t-18 (warner trannys - both). I eventually decided not to use the tranny because the input shaft was enormous - i remember it was something like 1 1/4 or 13/8 inch. whatever it was would mean difficulty geting the right size clutch disc. But it was the right length shaft for the amc bellhousing. I ended up getting a cracked case t-18 and swaped the internals out and into the t-98 case. It now rests comfortably behimd my 258. So, watch for input shaft size, and adaptablity to the bellhousing you will use. hope this is some help. jamey williams

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

guys how about going the other way??
Meaning use the T176 tranny (made by ford right) and than bolt up the t176 to a ford bell housing?? and ford motor?? will this work?? i know this is not quite related but i thought of it after reading the post!
Andy

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 01:37 PM

The T-176, as opposed to the New World T-176, is a marginal tranny at best when coupled to V-8 power. You can purchase a heavy duty T-176, but the cost is similar to any other heavy duty 4-sp. conversion. If you're considering a Ford motor, why not a Ford tranny? T-18, 98, etc...

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode