Garage Floor Paint - OT? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Garage Floor Paint - OT?

I was wanting to paint my garage floor to keep the oil from soaking into the concrete and wondered what your all's opinion is? I went to Home Depot last night and they have some acrylic floor paint that resist oil and chemicals, but it is around $25/gal or $100/5gal [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

What have you all used on your garage floor?

1978 CJ-5 '<font color=red>Cherry Bomb</font color=red>', AMC 360, SOA, 33x12.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:35 AM
jeepfiend

Re: Garage Floor Paint - OT?

I have seen coated floors in industrial situations, and they use Epoxy. It is tough stuff. What kind of skid resistance do the floors have. I have wanted to paint my floor too, but I worry about it getting a little slippery when it is wet, whether is from snow melt, or from something I spilled. I would be interested to know how it works out. I know for a lot of coatings, they only recommend it for new concrete. Would there be adhesion problems where there are oil spills. Maybe a lot of guys will put some input here. I am curious to know what others have done. The only drawback to the epoxy is the price.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 10:03 AM

i painted my garage floor a couple years ago with Thompsons brand (i think). its OK, needs done again. i may go with an epoxy with a grit for traction. now would be a good time to paint. make sure you let it cure completly before parking on it. a buddy painted his floor (not epoxy) two summers ago, waited two weeks and parked on it with hot tires, paint came right up. i have not had any problems like this. matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've worked in garages w/ both painted and non-painted floors and I would never paint the floor in my garage. Yes, it does make clean-up a million times easier, but every time the floor gets a little damp it turns into a skating rink. I don't know about the grit type paint you guys are talking about, I've never had any experience w/ it. But wouldn't buying a paint with a gritty substance in it be the same as gritty concrete?

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll stir the pot here just a bit.

Don't paint the garage floor. Carpet it!

I've been carpeted for years and wouldn't have it any other way.

No flames or ridicule, now - jus' lissen, y'all heah?

Advantages:
1) Takes a bunch of power tool noise and soaks it up. This was a surprise the first time but it really is nice. Noise really bounces around on a concrete surface. Long shag carpet kills it big time.

2) Insulates somewhat in the winter. It makes it easier to heat the garage since the cold floor isn't as easily soaking up the heat you're trying to pour into it.

3) You won't look for tools and parts because they bounced five or ten or more feet away. They just hit and stop right there. The little bitty parts may have to be looked for in the carpet fibers but at least you know that they are right where they hit and not clear across to Timbuktu or behind or under or both.

4) When you drop tools or parts, they will more than likely not be damaged by a hit on a hard floor. You will be amazed at how much you will save in time and effort because you didn't damage or break something when you dropped it. This reason alone is enough to insure that I will NEVER have a garage without carpet! (New parts laying on carpet even if it is dirty seems better than new parts laying on a cold, hard, dirty concrete floor - if that makes sense!)

5) It is amazingly comfortable. I no longer use a creeper. Or pad or whatever. I just lay down on the floor and swing under my Jeep and go to work. The first piece of carpet was a small piece to put under my feet in front of my primary workbench and it kind of grew from there.

Disadvantages:

1) Harder to move things around. I now have learned to put things that need to be moved on casters and that problem goes away.

2) Cleanup is not as easy as a simple sweep up. But then neither is cleanup in the house if you have carpet in there. That is what vacuum cleaners got invented for. The first thing to think about is that you aren't going to keep it as clean as the carpet in the house so don't try to conceive of it that way.

3) I use my garage as a Jeeplab and that includes fabrication. I weld on my carpet and use the cutting torch as well. When a hot piece of metal falls to the carpet it sometimes causes a small fire. Just keep your eye on what you are doing and there is no problem. Sparks will not ignite the carpet and the flame will NOT spread when it does start from a piece of molten metal. Most of the time the metal pieces just melt or fuse the fibers together and that is all. I usually use a piece of sheet metal under where I'm working and that problem just doesn't exist. But then I also always have a fire extinguisher around when using the hot wrench, anyway.

4) There will be somebody in the family who thinks you are nuts. And tell you daily how ugly it is. Ignore them. After a time they'll either see the advantages or hopefully shut up.

Keep it simple. Don't try to make it wall to wall carpet like the house. If you like in the northern climes, I'd put carpet all the way around the perifery and then put the up-against-the-wall things on it and then cut the carpet just front of those cabinets and such. In the southern climes I'd not bother to do this part (under the cabinets). Keep the middle working area a separate piece or even two pieces to make it easier to handle.

Clean it by rolling it up and flipping it over in the driveway or even on itself halfway. When you get a large amount of dirt or debris - shake it out! Then vacuum if you are so inclined. I don't even use a vacuum anymore since shaking it out and flipping it over keeps it clean enough for the Jeeplab.

I've been doing this for better than ten years and still have yet to feel the need to get another piece of carpet. What I have done is get some more pieces and in certain areas I have some "throw rugs" and that helps with all of the advantages.

As for oil and grease spills - keep the sheet metal pans or other catch containers under you when you start an oil or other fluids-filled project and don't worry about it when you spill a little. Even it you spill a lot, don't worry about it just soak up what you can and let the carpet absorb the rest. In short: take care of the carpet but don't be anal about. The oils and grease will dry out in a few weeks anyway.

sln

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 05:46 PM

I bought my house on the basis of the attached garage. it's a large 2 car size, and the previous owner was very anal about neatness. It was already sheetrocked, painted white, and had nice windows and CURTAINS! Not even a cobweb in the corners when I moved in!
The concrete floor was very clean, with no oil spots on it. I wanted to preserve the floor as long as possible, so the 1st thing I did was paint it.
I found a nice, 2 part epoxy kit at Home Depot(don't even consider anything but a 2 part epoxy for durability), I think Rustoluem makes it...First, ya have to make absolutely sure the floor is dust free and degreased. then you etch the floor with a solution of Muriatic acid, then let it dry for a couple of days.(all the instructions were in the kit)Then mix the kit up. I just about used the whole 2 gallons. I applied it with a short nap roller, although I tried a squeegee, it didn't work well at all. I didn't add grit.
2 years later the floor still looks great, and I do not think it's very slippery when wet. I live in New England, and without the grit it's easy to squeegee out the slush and water after the snow melts off our cars inside.
The only stains it has is from motor oil. My 258 leaks (is there one that doesn't?) and before I learned to park on cardboard it dripped on the floor. I think the acid in the oil stains the paint. Oh well, it's easy to keep clean, it's not dusly, and it looks great.
Bob in Ma

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your floor is new make sure the concrete has had time to dry all the way through. My brother painted his garge floor in his new home and waited enough time for the paint to dry but the concrete hadn't had the proper time to dry. The heat from his cars drew the moisture from down in the concrete causing the paint to come up.

2001 TJ Sport, warn winch
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Find someone who sells dirt and get a clean bucket of sand. Add it to epoxy paint and you will have a durable, easy to clean, non-skid, nice looking surface on which to work.

I too like carpet, but I will try to put down some indoor/ourdoor carpet underneith my Jeep when I plan on crawling under it. Then roll it up and store it when I am through.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 07:37 PM

I don't like the painted super smooth floors because(as was stated) they are slick as heck when wet. Make sure you use a good floor epoxy pint if you do. I really like the "clean sand" trick. I think this would really work if you could keep it mixed well while you are painting it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]This might just make me paint mine.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just another idea. If starting out with new construction , try adding color to the concrete . They do this in the truck before they pour it out into the form. A dark red/rust or a dark green wouldn't show ther stains. I also use a carpet, especially when I'm working on a project on the floor. It really keeps the dropped parts where you can find them.

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode