shimmed rear axle after-effects - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:54 AM
sas87yj

shimmed rear axle after-effects

i read somewhere that the gears may not get lubricated properly after shimming. i just installed 12 degree shims after 4.5" lift to aim pinion at transcase. to give you an idea of 12 degrees- the shim is 4" long, 1/8" thick at rear and 1" thick in front. the diff has quite a pitch now but it aims right at the transcase. next will install the SYE and CV shaft. there must be others doing the same? anyone else running similar set-up? do i have a valid concern and what can be done? the drain plug now sets lower due to the tilt. don't see how i could fill it more than before.
thanks,steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 08:43 AM

Re: shimmed rear axle after-effects

to fill it more: park it on a slope, nose down, until the differential is approximately level. i recommend a product called Lucas Oil Stabilizer. it makes your oil and gear lube sticky and stringy (kinda like melted cheese) so it stays on the gear and in the bearings. do some searches for more info. matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

One thing that i have seen done is a plumbing 90 screwed into the case then a cap on the 90. It will get more in there. Run synthetic in there. That will make up for it being low. I use royal purple gear lube in anything that takes gear oil. Good luck

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 05:45 PM
sas87yj

both seem like good ideas to me. park on a slope to get more in and the 90 degree plumber fitting might not be my choice although it would allow more fluid. woud have to put a real short nipple in diff first, then a 90 with a plug. i was also wondering if anyone is running the pinion at 12 degrees and is their axle surviving. i always fill my diff till it starts to come out. it is rule of thumb that if you can stick the end of your pinkey in there and touch fluid- you are ok. with the tipped pinion, i don't believe this will apply anymore.
thanks,steve

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Simple, just block the front tires, jack up the back end until you get the approximate angle of the diff as it was stock, put some jack stands under it, fill it as you normally would, put the plug back in and lower it back down.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 06:28 PM
scram

I think mine is a 6 degree shim and fill it like the others say and run synthetic. Scram

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 07:26 PM

Mine has whatever skyjacker puts on their rear springs. I don't know what the angle is, but it does point it up some. I did the jack it up to fill it trick, but I like the elbow fitting idea. I haven't had any problem with mine.......been almost a year.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 07:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>Simple, just block the front tires, jack up the back end until you get the approximate angle of the diff as it was stock, put some jack stands under it, fill it as you normally would, put the plug back in and lower it back down.
</font color=blue>

That'd be 19.43" above where the diff is now. Just for reference.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:11 PM
sas87yj

you lost me on that one jeepn! i figure the fill plug spun down approx 1.5" from original position. so you are saying the rear end would have to be jacked up 19" to achieve original pinion pitch? i need to see a math diagram on this one please. i'm not doubting you but just want to see your calcs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
thanks,steve

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:26 PM

Jeepns Math: He "made a triangle" from the ground to the front axle to the rear axle. 12deg added to what ever the angle was orginally(i don't know but i am sure he does) = one angle. the lenght between alxes a 90deg angle from the ground. 2 angles and a side is enough to find out the other side. Anyone get this?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode