New BFG's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New BFG\'s

So it is Tire time. I had looked at all types of tires, but I had decided on either BFG Muds or SSR Swampers. But then here comes this new BFG called the Baja. It looks to have a higher void ratio and better cleaning ability. Has anybody used these, or are they too new? I see absolutely no rocks and want a tire that will work well in the mud, but it needs to do good on the road. I know the BFG Muds are very good on-road and on rocks, but have heard tey don't clean very well. Some people say that the SSR's are good road tires, while others say they blow. I know SSR's are good in the mud. The BFG Bajas look like they would be a good compromise if they are the same rubber compound as the Muds. Should I go with the Baja's, the Muds, the SSR's, or something I haven't thought of? By the way I am looking for 33x12.5's.

Ed

How do ya'll come up with them funny thangs down here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New BFG\'s

ya.. get 2 sets.. boggers for mud.. and something cheap for the street.. lol.. if you want the both.. well then you have to compromise.. i dont know about the baja's, they arent new.. been out for 4-6 years i think.. they made them when i was in cali.. and that was 3 years ago. bfg mud arent bad.. you need some wheel spin to clean them.. but i like them.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 31" BFG Muds on my YJ and I love 'em. I've been thinking about getting some SSRs when these wear out but I've read that they wear out quickly on-road and don't stay in balance for more than a couple thousand miles. Another interesting alternative is the new Pro Comp mud tire (I've heard that they're made by Cooper.). It's siped on the center lugs, kinda like the SSR, but the lugs are spaced similarly to the BFG. The new issue of Four Wheeler magazine includes a test of these. I've seen very few BFG Bajas on the trail but then, most of my 'wheeling has included a fair amount of rocks. The Bajas have very stiff (but very puncture-resistant) sidewalls so they don't offer the flexibility that a lot of 'wheelers look for.

Texas Mojo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
94 YJ, 2.5, AX5, 231, 4.11s w/EZLockers, 31/10.50R15 BFG MTs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Baja TA was designed for desert racing. I think what they did was start with the mudder design (always did provide good rock traction), but used a different compound, and shallower lugs for hardpan and sand. Because it has the shallower tread, I don't think it would be my first choice for a mudder. Just my $.02.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 03:45 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Actually, there are two distinctly different BFG "baja" tread designs. The older design is much more aggressive, while the new one is clearly an "all-terrain" design. I know for a fact that not all sizes are available in the "old" design & that style may or may not have been completely discontinued. At any rate, even the "new" style has been around several years. They're very expensive.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode