Axles, trannies, and tire upgrades - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axles, trannies, and tire upgrades

I have a 90' YJ, with a 258 under the hood, 3" suspension lift, and 35" tires underneath. I've been told that the 258 doesn't put out enough torque to handle that size tire, is this true? Also, I've been told the axles I'm running (Dana 30 in front, and 35 in rear) are too weak for that tire, is this true? And again, I've been told the AX-15 tranny I'm running is too weak, is this true? What can I do???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Axles, trannies, and tire upgrades

First things first... do you have a picture? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 3in suspension and 35in tires.. good match? ok anyway.. Your 258 actually does produce a fair amount of torque (210).. Which is fair in comparision to a the newer I6 which produces 220. Some people say the AX15 wont hold up under abuse.. and I believe this is true.. but other here differ in opinion greatly therefor I'm not getting into that- Running 35s with a D30/35 combo isnt great.. but if you just want the looks of the jeep the axles will be fine.. if you wheel mild to wild.. those axles will be toast- I dont know who has been feeding you all the info here.. but your engine is fine and will push the 35s.. you could add a new intake/carb/header/exhaust/change gears/air filter.. etc.. If the engine seems to bog down alot maybe you need a fresh rebuild? Hope this helps. goodluck

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am interested on how you fit 35" tires with only a 3" suspension lift?

You have the same set up my YJ did have. Those components are too weak if you do much offroading. On the street they will be fine. If you go offroad you will be asking for trouble.

The AX-15's upper limit is debatable, but I will tell you what the limit for mine was. I did some mild engine upgrades(K&N, flowmaster, TR upgrade...like I said mild) and put on a 4" lift with 33" Swampers. My AX-15 started going downhill rapidly. I upgraded it to a NV4500 before it went completely, but it was on the short rows. If I had it to do over again I would have went with the Ford T-18(really don't need 5th in a Jeep with tires that big or you are just being dangerous).

Have you changed out your R&P yet? The D30/D35 combo is not going to last long at all off-road. The front D30 had the small 267x ujoints and will sheer when cranked over and giving it some throttle. The D35 is the weakest rear axle ever offered in a jeep. 32" tires and a 4 cyl. can easily break one(even without lockers). There are kits out there that are supposed to "fix" those weak points, but they are all just bandaids. They just cover up the problem until you forget about them and they get worse. You best,and cheapest, bet is to find a '87 and later model Jeep Grand Waggoner and get these axles(D44's front and rear). D44's will hold up fine with 35" tires. Do a search on this topic, there is tons of info on this subject. Ask questions on the specifics if you need to. There are also other options to consider as well, so get ready.

The 258 is a good motor. With a little help it can easily power 35" tires. The first and easiest suggestion is to ask what R&P ratio are you running. If you haven't changed the R&P to a lower ratio(numerically higher) to compensate for the larger tires then your engine will be anemic, at best. Bottom line is the 258 is fine, but some of us(like me) crave V8 raw power and sound.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Culprit.. I gathered a few weblinks of upgrades for your engine-
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/fullsize/ifsja258bu.html
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/258ignition.htm
These seem helpful.. goodluck.. what are you trying to gain out of your jeep? Do you wheel alot or at all ??? Let us know DETAILS.. DETAILS.. DETAILS.. oh yea gotta pic of the YJ?

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode