convert fulltime 4X4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

convert fulltime 4X4

A guy wants to sell me a '74 Blazer with full time 4X4. How easy are they to convert to part time???
Thanks

"When in doubt go faster"
'64 CJ5, 351W, T-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 11:38 PM
Official Historian

Re: convert fulltime 4X4

They are pretty easy. I converted my Dodge about 8 years ago. There are two ways to do it. One is to get the kit that replaces the rear output shaft. The other is the kit that replaces just the spider gears of the differential with four stationary pieces that lock onto the stock output shaft. I used the one with the four pieces. It's held up just fine.

I have a friend that bought a jeep with a chevy drivetrain including an np203. His had the shaft kit. He changed his back to full-time last year and is much happier with it. If you drive mostly on the street, 2wd is nice.

Another option you have is to do what I do with my quadratrac. I put locking hubs on the front axle and locked the transfer case. This way I have 2wd, 4wd full-time, and 4wd part-time.

If you do convert the transfer case and install locking hubs, just remember to engage the front drive a couple times a month. If the front shaft is not spinning, niether is the chain. The chain is what throws oil up to the rear output bearing.

With my Dodge, I didn't convert the front from the semi-floating stock design and install lockout hubs. I still got an immediate 2mpg improvement just by not DRIVING the front all the time. It really is a stout case too.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode