Making a gas tank - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Making a gas tank

I ran across a 15-20 gallon air compressor which has a bad motor or compressor. The tank however seems to be in good condition. My question is would this make a good gas tank? The metal would be thick enough, as long as the tank wasn't rusty on the inside I think it would work. I'm not putting it back where its supposed to go, so ground clearence or any problems like that won't be a factor. Also, it would be safe welding brackets, filler and vent tubes on to it since it's never had anything but air in it. The only problem that I see is hooking up a sending unit, but I could just leave it off. Or is there some kind of mechanical one I could use, something that came on tractors or other equipment.
Let me know what you think.

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 08:56 PM

Re: Making a gas tank

for all your effort and loss of cargo space i would think it would be easier just to buy a poly replacement tank but hey whatever trips your trigger

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Losing space isn't a problem. And the tank is free.
I just want to know if its safe and will hold up to off-roading.

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Muddog -
Leave it alone or make an air compressor out of it. The inside of that tank is nothing but rust. What will happen is lots of it will break loose from the jiggling and bouncing of driving and the solvent action of the gasoline. You will have dirty fuel problems like you have never heard of. The quantity of rust will simply clog one filter after another. My advice is forget it. Just because it is a round, stout and free container doesn't mean it is a good deal.

sln

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I thought of that too. What if I coated the inside with gas tank sealant?

87 wrangler - 258
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

muddog... i have a really nice poly 19 gallon tank here... i'll sell it cheap if you need a tank...

~~Elusive~~

www.jeepgod.net[/url]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, nothing but rust. I don't know if you could ever get it really clean. I would leave it, or find something else to do with it.

Swavy00

"Government can do something for the people only in proportion as it can do something to the people." -- Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It would be one thing to cut a weld a tank together,,,or even use a small beer keg (used to do that years ago building dune buggy's),,But dont use that compressor tank,,,as other have said,,,way, way, way to much rust,,,and even if you could completely coat it somehow...how long do you think you'd have before it started rusting again?? ,,buy the tank from elusive...

DrummondCJ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:21 AM
Way Outta Control

I agree with all the posts. The concept is good but putting the concept to work is not. You could easily coat the inside of the tank with one of several chemical strip/coating products. I'd recommend P0R-15 or Eastwood's coatings.

The one item here that's not been discussed is how are you going to prevent the gas from sloshing about while the Jeep is bashing about? If you stop it will slosh foward. If you accellerate it sloshes back. If you are off camber... well who the heck knows where it will slosh. The point is that most tanks have one or two baffels in them. The baffels are installed to prevent sloshing for two reasons. The first is to prevent the fuel siphon from sucking air. This is bad, very bad. The second is to keep the area around the gas sender somewhat at a consistant fill to prevent the gauge from seeing wild swings in the fuel level.

So, even if you don't plan on installing a sender in the tank, prevention of sucking air into the fuel line would put a halt to the project.

Now, if you're not worried about room.... you could have a legendary on-board air system. Guys on the trail would be talking about that for years after both you and your Jeep are long gone... Imagine...Imortality at your fingertip right now and all ya gotta do is get tanked! What a life!

LEVE
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whoever said the thing about the rust is right - my dad did this on an antique racer and although the tank looked beautiful when he was done, it was a total clog-fest...

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode