Oil Pressure sending unit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil Pressure sending unit

I bought a long block AMC 360 from Twilight(Auto) Zone. The brass fitting from my core that is a 90 degree angle out of the block doesn't fit the hole nor does the 3/8 male end on the new sending unit. I got the sending unit from summit with new gauges. The hole in the block appears to be for a 5/16. No one in town has a step down from 3/8 to 5/16. Nor does anyone have the stock sending unit but the one from my core was 3/8 also. Anyone have any ideas? Twilight Zone was no help. My exhaust manifold bolts were not tapped the same either. What's up with that? I know I could just tap the hole to 3/8 but the engine is already in my jeep and its brand new. I didn't pay $1000 to drill and tap holes. I need help. My buddy's 304 has a similiar brass fitting to the one I got from my core engine. Why isn't anything easy? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oil Pressure sending unit

When dealing with pipe thread the sizes are a little screwy. I the sending unit you have looks like 3/8, you have 1/4NPT. If the block appears to have a
5/16 hole,it is 1/8NPT. Go back to twilight zone and get a 3/8PT to 1/8 PT[pipe thread] and a 1/4 to 1/8 PT reducer. You should get something to work.

Gorgeous George
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]My other car is a Frieghtliner<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Don......your Jeep sender is in all probability a 1/4". Is that the one for the electric three-pole plug in? Many Jeeps use that three-pole sender which is for the choke heater and an idiot light combined. A stock gauge sender is usually 1/8" pipe thread. It would really be rare to find one that is bigger. The exhaust manifolds on our 304 have 3/8" studs and 5/19 studs. You notice I said studs.....we made studs instead of the bolts that came with it for more strength and better sealing.....it was a long process with a die set. Mizu set up his 304 to have all of the senders topside. He went into the block with a tube fitting, and then up to a little manifld with the assortment of senders. That would also work for your oiler upgrade as well. Why not go that route? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can't wait to get that envelope. I was sure it would be here today. Maybe tomorrow. The sending unit is a single wire screw type.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:36 AM

To get my stock YJ sending unit to bolt up to my chevy V8 it took me a few trips to autozone, finally, they just told me to go behind the counter and get what I need, took 2 fittings and a tube threaded at each end to get it running.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode