Rochester ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Rochester ????

Hi All
Is the carb talked about on this board a Rochester "2GV" ? would I be able to adapt my carter BBd choke and aircleaner to it ?
As I recall I had a chevy Impala around 1976 with a 283 and the choke was just a metallic spring mounted on the intake manifold inside a little metal housing.
But that was quite a while ago.
I rebuilt the bbd a while ago and had it ideling OK but it seemed too rich like the choke was too rich but when I adjusted it to a leaner setting it won't idle or stay started without some help
TIA

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 08:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rochester ????

sorry.. this is my latest find and i wanted an excuse to post it.. its a rochester, and i added the snorkle. but thats all i know about it...anyone know what this thing is??

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift,33's..etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-361999-P1010003.jpg (58.1 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It looks like a 4 " 90d street ell, with a pvc union, sitting on a turd...I thimk it's upside down, try a plunger.

: )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The '2GV' seems to be what I kept turning up in my searches....Most refer to a 65 Impala and no A.I.R. if the guy at the auto-jerks asks! It looks like the 'electric choke' from the 'BBD' can be adopted to the '2GV'. I will have one in my grubby paws today so I will snap a few pics and let you know. Now on to the air-cleaner my searches have yeilded no 'low-hanging friut' on this one.
I am hoping it is going to be a staright forward swap...but you never know.
The only other thing that seems to require modification is the throttle linkage. Some say get a universal cable type and others say a little fab work with parts from the 'BBD' work fine.
What I am really wondering is how much 'tuning' of the Rochester will be involved? Since it is set-up for the 283 how will it adopt to the 258? Will I have to monkey with the mixture at all? or just the idle, fast idle and choke.
I have always been a little 'scetchy' on setting mixture on carbs.....I am pretty hit or miss at that kinda thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 12:39 PM
Veteran

i did the rochester swap. for the throttle linkage, i had to cut off part of the old bbd and weld it on. actually turned out quite nice if you ask me. as for the aircleaner, you may be able to use the old one if you can find a 90 deg elbow for the fuel line b/c it comes out the side of carb instead of the front. i couldn't find one, so i did the $25 chrome 10 incher that sits right on top. works well so far.....now if i could just figure out the vacuum lines......

shawn

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 01:08 PM

lookie here! http://store.summitracing.com/produc...D-080009FC5B5F

hopefully someone can make this clicky-click. about 3/4 of the way down the list is the offset air-cleaners i have been talking about, AND they come with K&N filters. i have a 3" one on my racecar engine. i am going to try and put it on my cj-7 tonight and see if the offset is enough. hoper this helps everyone! matt

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
The Rochester two barrel carbs are either the 2G, the 2GC, or the 2GV. The 2G was a chokeless version intended for the center carb in a 3- deuces configuration. Like on a GTO. The 2GC is the standard thermal choke version, and requires a stock gm manifold to work the choke right. It had an exhaust passage that came up through the manifold to the choke housing. The 2GV has a vacuum operated choke. There was a little thermostat that sent vacuum to the choke to open it as the engine warmed up. You can buy these. Either the 2GC or 2GV can be converted to manual choke with a simple kit from an auto parts store. The 2G series is really easy to tune, and should not have to be rejetted for changes in displacement unless you are going to an EGR'd engine. The adjustments available are for curb idle speed and curb idle mixture (screws and needle valves), part throttle mixture (a power valve spring available in 6 weights and variously sized metering rods), accelerator pump (bend the rod for more or less), float level (higher means richer), and main jet (change sizes). You should really only need to change the curb idle and accelerator pump settings, and maybe float level if you change engines within 50 cubic inches of the original. You will want a pre-'75 model because they had emissions stuff after that.

The aircleaner can be adapted with a plastic adaptor ring meant for adapting Holley- sized air cleaners to Rochester cleaners. They cost about 5 bucks. I got mine at my local Napa. I use a chrome ring air cleaner on mine. Mine is on a Buick 225 V6, and is the stock carb. It is easy to keep tuned and gets decent milage. I just bought an Offenhauser Qjet intake and a Quadrajet carb to replace it, though, so I can get more HP and better milage. The Qjet has smaller primary barrels and huge secondarys, and the offy manifold flows better than stock. The smaller primarys give better off-idle response than the 2GC. The qjet will also operate at all kinds of wierd angles. I will be interested in selling the 2G that I have. I just rebuilt it. It has been converted to manual choke. I will keep it around until I get the Qjet and Offy tuned, though.

The only real shortcoming to a 2G series is that they are a little simple and they don't have as good of fuel economy at low speed part and full throttle acceleration as a 4 barrel because they rely soley on the accelerator pump for acceleration fuel. They stumble a lot if you lug the engine. If you have good driving habits, they give no problem. They idle as smooth as glass. They are really easy to rebuild and tune.

I recommend getting a carb tuning book and reading it. It is not rocket science (well, actually it sort of is), and you could probably get your BBD running right again by kitting it and tuning it up.

Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks like a Quadrajet, if the pattern on the bottom is spread bore- two large holes, two smaller.
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode