The Old Heater Upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The Old Heater Upgrade

Did the big search but couldn`t find the actual dimensions of the (Blazer) blower , anyone know what the OD on the Blazer one is ? I measured the blower hole on my 80 tub and it is darn near 3" in diameter. My heater assembly (blower out of my 79 CJ5) is about 2 1/2 " in diameter. I`m not ready to buy the new blower today but am trying to prepare for the job . I`m just wondering if someone enlarged the hole in this new tub already or is that Blazer blower larger than 3" ? Anyone feel like measuring thier upgraded blower motor for me ? Pleeeeze [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Jeff

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=black>When is Summer going to be here? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 05:55 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: The Old Heater Upgrade

Most instructions call for 3.25" hole. I found it best to enlarge the hole in the firewall to 3.5". This gave a little extra wiggle room. Also don't forget to enlarge the Blower motor wiring connection hole.

Websites detailing the Modificaiton are numerous... here's my favorite:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Tr...63/heater.html

Then there are two others, on located on the "Jeepwire" site,

http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/jeep/...rior/cjheater/

and the second located here on the OFF-Road forum, I think, Dec of 97 TOC.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/body/heater.html

LEVE
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 07:25 PM

Good advice on the wiring hole. Mine would make contact with the firewall every once in a while and pop the fuse. It took me a while to find the problem. It's a great upgrade, you'll be proud!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast

any idea if there are any websites that have a write up on this upgrade? I just sold my hardtop and bought a sunrider for year round in NY and think it might be a good upgrade to do before next winter. Thanks.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

What is the best way to mark the hole (around the existing hole) and cut it out bigger? I don't want it to look like a botch/hack job. Thanks guys. Duane

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 a 95-96 4.0L Motor, SS gas tank, & chrome spoke wheels.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 08:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

Get a piece of sheet metal or plywood and mount it to the firewall over the existing hole. Then use a holesaw the size that you need. Then remove the sheet metalpiece or plywood and you will have a good looking hole for the new heater. The metal piece or plywood will keep the holesaw from walking all over the place. There are numerous web sites about this upgrade. I have them printed out at home. I'll try to remember to write down the addresses for them and post them.

Edit:
Looks like LEVE beat me to it.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Leve , thanks for the info and the sites . A buddy told me that the newer replacement (stock fan) comes with a newer designed squirrel cage and is just about as efficient as the blazer upgrade . Ever hear of this ? Just want to cover all the bases before I cut .

Jeff

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=black>When is Summer going to be here? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:18 AM
Way Outta Control

That is correct. If you look on the OEM replacement part and the blower motor from Autozone, NAPA, etc. it will carry the same Siemens part number. Same part, different wholesaler. The differnece is in the price. The same motor from NAPA or Autozone is about $17 to $20. I paid $18 for mine from NAPA almost 6 years ago. I believe the OEM replacement is quite a bit more expensive.

LEVE
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

At one of the NAPA's I went to for the blower motor, the parts guy said they had the squirrel cage in stock, but not the blower. That was before I heard about the new design of the squirrel cage. When I went back to check it out, he couldn't find the number for it anywhere, so I am not sure if NAPA has it or not. The local dealer doesn't stock the squirrel cage, so if I order it I have to keep it and I didn't want to buy it sight unseen. So I haven't been able to confirm the existance of the improved squirrel cage.

For enlarging the hole, I wanted mine to look good too. To make sure the center of the larger hole lined up with the center of the existing hole, I made a template out of cardboard. I glue a disk the size of the existing hole to a disk the size of larger hole, with the centers lined up. Then I just placed the template on the firewall with the smaller disk in the existing hole and traced around the larger disk. I used a Dremel with a tungsten bit to cut the metal.

After going through all that, I decided that a hole saw would probably work better. If I ever do it again, I plan on cutting a wood disk the same size as the existing hole and putting that on the drill bit of the hole saw to act as a pilot, so the larger hole will be centered to the existing hole.

My posts usually aren't this long, so I want credit for two on this one.

jerry
87 Cherokee 4.0, 90 Wrangler 4.2, 95 Wrangler 2.5
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On the same subject, will this or another upgrade work on a 76 CJ7? I usually drive by sound and smell on those cold, rainy, FOGGY mornings.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]<font color=red>76 CJ-7</font color=red> Waiting for my 350cid.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode