Towing with my YJ... Is it OK? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Towing with my YJ... Is it OK?

I just read a post about towing with the CJ. I need to tow my old Hyundai Excel on a dolly about 20 miles(dropping a new short block in it for my brother who is going away to college). Will my 88 Wrangler w/a 258 be ok for that short distance? Most of the miles are on 695, 55mph limit. The Hyundai doesn't quite weigh a ton, but close. I know you guys said "NO!" to the CJ. How about the YJ?
Bryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:08 PM
Addict

Re: Towing with my YJ... Is it OK?

I'd do it. Keep your speed down. You'll know when you hit your Jeep's limit. 20 miles is nothing. It will only take an hour going 40.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Loosenut...unless that's some kind of new math...At my college...at 40mph, it'd take HALF an hour to go 20 miles....just a thought.....

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:31 AM

40-50mph would be a good cruising speed. Just be careful on railroad crossings! My jeep rides like a stagecoach and the last time I went over railroad tracks without slowing down enough with my boat behind me....well, let's just it was interesting!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd do it, I towed my friends boat with my 89YJ 258 with a 5-speed. The boat was darn near the towing limit (2000 pounds, i think??)it might have even been over the limit. Plus i had 33" tires on at the time, it made it just fine, I just kept a close eye on the temp gauge, and periodically felt the floor to see if the tranny was overheating. I was able to do 60 mph comfortably, just using 4th gear on the hills. All said, it was a good experience, the ol YJ came through again

MattYJ
89YJ 4.2 5"lft 33"Firehawk ATX
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 06:54 PM

When my friend in his Yoda tried to follow my (then) freshly snorkeled YJ through a water hole he blew his engine and I have to tow him back 40 miles with just the 20' 20klbs snatch strap, at night (thank god!), at 70mph. If I wanted to slow down I just tapped the brakes twice and he would use his brakes to slow us both down. Everything worked fine, although I did have to stay in 4th at 2500-3000 rpms

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well, I don't think that I'll be driving at around 60-70mph; 50 sounds about right. I figure I will have to give myself a lot of braking distance for the tolls on the Francis Scott Key Bridge(kinda steep). Thanks everyone[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Bryan
88 YJ, teeny little 30's, 258(soon to be a monster w/ TFI and Edelbrock or Holley)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:18 PM

I've pulled my 1800lb Jayco pop up camper over the F.S. Key Bridge with my 2.8L Cherokee XJ plenty of times. You should be able to make it to the top with your 258. Try to do it during a light traffic time of day and keep your speed down. Good Luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

A local fellow Jeeper!!!!
Thanks xjy173.

Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, but you folks are missing the point. The Jeep is plenty strong enough to do the pulling. I pulled a 12,000 motor home out of a field and then 15 miles to it's new home with my TJ. Power IS NOT the problem. Stopping and/or changing directions is the problem. If the tow weight is about 2,000 or less be careful, and go for it. You can even do the real heavy weights too, like my 12,000 lb deal, but if you do something like that, it is at 15 or 20 mph, NOT 50 or 60 and especially NOT in locations, like an interstate, that not only requires faster speed, but also frequently contributes to having to change directions rapidly - a sure posibility for all sorts of bad things to happen.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode