Dana 300 speedometer adjustment? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Dana 300 speedometer adjustment?

I just had my dana 300 out and replaced a few bearings, gaskets, and seals. After putting it back in my Jeep, my speedometer doesn't work. When I was dissassembling it I removed the lock-plate on the speedometer drive gear and turned it several times thinking it was preventing me from getting the output housing off -- this wasn't the problem so I just turned it back a few times and left it. I never thought to look at it more closely when I had it apart - whoops. How do I adjust this baby?

I verified that the cable to the speedometer gauge works by turning it by hand -- It seems that the speedo gears in the x-fer case aren't meshing..

Thanks.

86 CJ-7/360/Ford T-18/D300/D44/D30/fullcage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 300 speedometer adjustment?

Make sure that when you screw the cable back onto the speedo drive you have the end inserted properly into the drive. This happened to me last time I had my t-case out, thought I screwed up the speedo drive, but the cable just wasn't inserted properly. Took a couple tries to get it in right.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 07:42 AM
utahjeepr

Re: Dana 300 speedometer adjustment?

The speedo drive is sort of an eccentric. It is meant to make up the difference in the different sized speedo gears. If it is turned to the wrong position for your speedo gear it will either be too loose and not read, or too tight and strip the speedo gear and not read/read improperly. If the gear is wasted you can get them through the Dodge dealer, Jeep dealers list them as obsolete.

I am a "Sheetmetal Darwinist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode