Do you have a Detroit Locker? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Do you have a Detroit Locker?

I just finished installing a Detroit Soflocker in the rear of my CJ7. When I drive I have noticed that occasionally the Jeep will pull slightly to the left under hard acceleration and that it pulls a little to the right under deceleration. This is very slight and only occasionally happens. It is much like torque steer in front wheel drive cars. Is this normal? I just want to make sure I didn't do anything in the installation that could be causing this. Just a note: my shackles are really loose and my spring clamps are open. This gives the axle a little more flex than on a stock jeep.

Thanks for any comments,

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 04:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Do you have a Detroit Locker?

I have noticed the same problem. I might get a set of traction bars for that. You may want to try new bushings all around. It may help. I think it is the nature of the beast.Good luck...seeya...

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I don't really see it as a problem, I just wanted to know if it was normal. Thanks for the reply.

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

definatly normal, I remember when I got a chance to test out my freinds Jeep after he put in a rear locker and almost changed lanes when I shifted to second, That had alot to do with the low air pressure in the tires and the fact I was REALLY getting on it(I was actually checking to see if it could still chirp the tires from the 1st-2nd shift: it can!!)

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been driving with a Detroit Locker in the rear of my CJ-7 since Nov. The behavior overal can be strange, like when you gas it in a corner it will want to go straight, or the propensity to make you go one way or another occasionally. My wife won't drive it, but I'm used to it and love the incredible traction.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes completely normal.. it will greatly enhance if you ever put a v-8 in it.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:56 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have Detroits in the front and rear of my 44s in my CJ. It took a little getting used to that a$$ twisting your talking about. My jeep bobbles down the road when I shift too. Makes me smile everytime knowing I have the Detroits!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quite normal. Driving a rear Detroit requires a gentle throttle foot. In corners and going around turns, keep a steady speed. Do not accellerate or decellerate. If you must slow quickly in a turn, do it all with your brakes by stepping on the clutch. Get in the habit of either using or being quickly able to use the clutch in turns, because if the locker fails to unlock (pressure on both wheels and the engine because you are using too much throttle or not enough) and the road is slick from rain, snow, gravel, oil - whatever, you can loose control quite quickly. The locker only unlocks for turns when the engine isn't forcing it in either an accelleration mode or a decelleration mode. It really doesn't unlock at all. What actually happens is that the wheel that is turning faster because the road is forcing it to turn faster (turns) ratchets or over runs the locker. The engine will prevent this ratchet action by putting pressure on the axles, and it can do that by drag (decelleration) or power (accelleration).
As far as pulling to opposite sides in heavy acceleration and the opposite side in deceleration, my guess would be that it is caused by the tires not being exactly, and I mean really EXACTLY the same diameter. If that is the case, I doubt that you could ever get the tires exactly equal enough to stop that action, and even if you could, it wouldn't last very long.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a locker in my 88 yj and noticed it pulles under acceleration. I also noticed that is clunks if i give it gas in and out of turns, is this the locker engaging and disenging??

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

Would traction bars correct this sideways movement? The bars I am referring are the ones that bolt to the U bolts on the axle and attach to the frame foward the axle..Would this do?

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode