welder questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

welder questions

I found an interesting little MIG welder today at a pawn shop, its a CLARK 100E
110Volt, like 80-100 amp output, but here is the interesting thing, it has the MIG ( gas sheild)regulator and hoses on it.

asking price $159, i offered $100, they said nope pretty quicly, im guessing 125-135 would buy it

BUT, the tip of the gun is visibly crushed and wont allowthe wire to go thru. I called the local welding supply stores and they said they didnt carry parts for CLARK, but they could try to match something up, what are the odds I could put a new gun on there and use it? or where do i get pieces for a CLARK100E MIG gun?

thanks, I dont want it if its a bear to fix, but if these guns are pretty much universal then I think its a pretty good price

all input WELCOMED!

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 05:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: welder questions

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you are talking about the little round copper piece that the wire comes out of, those are an expendable part, and chances are you can rework SOMETHING to fit with little or no trouble. I could ask my welder guy if he's ever heard of it? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Also....it MAY not be a Clark gun....mauybe it's an off-the-shelf like a TWECO.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

yeah Dave,

it wasnt the repaceable tip, but the nozzle the wire comes out of the "contactor" maybe?
the tip was gone too.
thats what I was thinking, TWECO probably makes all of the guns out there, I cant imagine it would be cost effective for each small time welder manufacturer tto design/tool/produce a gun?

but the local shops said no listings for it, but MIGHT could match it up, Id have to buy it then try and match it up, im a chicken, if it isnt a poker table im not into risking my hard earned $135..

I bought a 300 year old Sears stick welder today, heavy as hell, 220 volt, 230 amp AC only, it works but the colling fan doesnt spin, so it makes a terrible humming noise, I disconnected and removed the fan, how long will it work without a fan? and can i replace it with any little 120 fan?
I paid $65 for the welder, probably too much, but I wanted one to play with

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The early welders did make a lot more noise. Our 1946 model Sears Roebuck welder did, and when it was welding, it was really noisy. Before you slap a fan in there, run a volts check on the fan leads....it could be 220, especially if the welder only has two wires in the cord. OR....the fan could be 110V and it has lost it's neutral. Either way, check the volts and see. Without a fan it is just a normal 150-180 low-duty cycle welder. With the fan it's a real master blaster.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

3 wires in the cord, one goes to the welder chassis, the other 2 goto the bottom of the ON/OFF switch, on teh top of the ON/OFF switch are 2 leads coming off and going to one side of the transformer, the fan leads were parralleled on teh switched side....

i guess that would make it a 220 fan huh? little bitty wires feeding that sucker though..I know little enough about 12 volt, 220 really looses me

thanks for your Help Dave!

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jest as ah suspected.....a 220V fan. You know....about half the time the fan is just too darn dirty to turn. Check out that possibility. Dust and dirt are the welder's biggest enemy, especially the fan-cooled ones. A fan motor like that is dirt cheap in the Grainger catalog.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

this is the stragne part Dave,

I stick a straw in there ( non conductive!) and the fan spins freely, then I power up the welder and the fan stops like someone pushed the brakes!

I was thinking the 250 CFM duct fan from HOME DEPOT for $15 ( 110, one side of the switch and the ground right?!)

I havent had a Grainger catalog in years..
thanks for the help!

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You may have been rolling the fan in reverse. It sounds like it needs a good cleaning.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Yeah.....the hot leg and the neutral, and the machine had better be plugged into a darn GOOD neutral or the case will be energized. Technically, there is ground...and there is neutral. Even though they end up at the same place in the main panel, they are run separately to prevent feedback and energizing the cases of everything. Like a Mobile home has FOUR wires plugged into the stand....two are the hot leads for the 220, and one is the neutral to run 110, and one is ground.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode